Experimental Pederson rifle

Handy

I was reading the other day about the other American service rifle the Army investigated prior to the adoption of the M1. Pederson (of the Pederson Device fame) apparently invented a very simple action that really impressed the folks back then. Eventually, Garand's system ended up working better in field trials, but the basis of Pederson's design turned some heads.

Anyone know anything about that rifle. I'd really like to know how it worked, or see a picture of the parts involved.

One of the best sources of info is the book "Hatcher's Book of the Garand" by Maj. Gen. Julian S. Hatcher.
This has been re-printed by the NRA, and is still available from gun book sellers.

This is a look at the development, acceptance trials, and early production of the M1 rifle.

Some of the most interesting info is on the early M1 and it's competetor's for adoption by the military.

Among those covered is the Pederson, with a great amount of info on it.

Basically, the Pederson had a "toggle-bolt", retarded blow-back action which popped up in a similar manner to the Luger pistol.
The Pederson was a complicated design, but it's great failure was that unless the cartridge was lubricated, the rifle tended to split cases.
Pederson developed a wax-coated casing, but wisely, the Army didn't adopt the idea.

The book covers most of the early 20th Century semi-auto rifles, and especially those considered for adoption.

As the top competitors, the M1, the Johnson, and the Pederson are well covered.

Also well covered is the divisive battle over the adoption of the M1 over the Johnson, and the "We told you so" complaints about the development problems of the early Garand.

Well, that's interesting. Too bad Pederson never came up with chamber flutes.

I'll have to find that book, thanks.

Back