Experience with the Howa 1500?

hoytinak

Picked up a used Howa 1500 .308 from a co-worker the other day at what seems like a fair price after prices them. He says it was mostly used for prairie dogs and I can tell it's been shot quite a bit (he says about 800 rounds) though I won't be able to shoot it till this weekend. The action is very smooth and locks up nice and tight. I'd like to here from other's that have shot/owned one....what do you think about them? Here's a quick pic (the cheap Leapers scope will soon be replaced though):

DSC01132.jpg

Howa's are great rifles. One of the best kept secrets out there. I had a stainless model with the Hogue stock, it was fantastic.

Enjoy it..!

Congratulations on a solid purchase,

now you can join the rest of us 1500 owners in telling everybody that will listen...
"You know, they make the Weatherby Vanguards too.":D

Seriously, though, my Howa in .204 has been uniformly excellent, and is one of the most accurate rifles I own. And 800 rounds through a .308 is just getting it broken in good.

I have noticed that the trigger is heavy and a little rough. Other than polishing which I'm sure will smoothen it out, what's the best way to lighten this trigger without spending too much...any aftermarket trigger parts for this thing?

I own a Vanguard Youth .243 and I love to shoot that thing more than my 13 yo who I bought it for! Nice little gun for the money!

In terms of after market triggers, I've got the Midway USA master catalog #32 open to page 616. Jard has one adjustable from 1 1/4-4 #'s. I'm certain there are others.

I have used my Howa 308 for deer season for years; never had a problem, and it's an accurate rifle, too.

ive got a 1500 in .243 and it is a solid rifle. very accurate. i love it. ive never had any issues with it. and ive put several hundred rounds through it.

No the actions are the same just a different label and I do enjoy mine as well I also own the rem 700 and I just like my HOWA... HB in .308.

Back