Experience Of AR Cycling The 15

timlab55

This is experience of shooting Sub Sonic rounds from the AR15. It DOESN'T work! The steps I did in order to make it work: #1: Got a lighter bolt, #2: Got a lighter spring (yellow tip), #3 Got a suppressor and a lot of advice on how to make it work without going past these three steps. Today (7/10/2024) I got my lighter spring, tossed it in and fire 3 rounds. Each round DID NOT cycle the chamber/bolt. If anyone has tried this, please drop me a line, as now since I'm a believer that it doesn't work, I have to go out and purchase a Blackout upper to put on top of my AR15, which then people from "The Firing Line" have reported, and other sources, said I will be able to shot my subsonce rounds. With that being said, yes I do know I have to MAKE sure that 300 Blacklout ONLY in that upper and .223/556 NATO only in the AR15 upper.
Thank You.

1-you've indicated your silencer is only 223?
2- A suppressed full power 223 is very likely quieter than an unsuppressed sub-sonic 300 Black out, will have a much greater range and smaller sight adjustment at varying distances. You can do google searches to confirm.

@zeke - No need to look at your data, I've learned in the past to trust you and a few others on here. Sometimes people with hard heads (like myself (sometimes)) don't listen. But I need data now to see how loud a sub-sonic unsuppressed round is compared to a 300 BO subsonic. Is the 300 going to be a little quiter or a little louder?
Thanks

tim-it's not my data. google is your friend and do a search for db ratings of each. and that would be for a suppressed full power 223 vs unsuppressed 300 bo sub sonic.

you can also google for trajectories of each

There is a recent thread on subsonic 300AAC with trailboss powder. OP also had difficulty cycling his AR.

That caught my interest. I'm buying a really budget barrel to tinker with. With a bit of luck I may be able to make it work. Will see.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

According to the internet, you can buy a decibel meter from Walmart for a bit over $20.

If I read it right. there's a phone app that will work for that, too.

Subsonic isn't magic, it just means below the speed of sound. In practical terms that means about 1100fps or less.

The "sound" of the muzzle blast is determined by several factors, which include pressure, amount of gas, and the size of the bore, among other things.

The amount of gas is determined by the amount, and type of powder burned.

A round that burns 8gr will have less blast than one that burns 15, and both could be subsonic.

As for your failure to function with subsonic 5.56.

And these are just possible alternative parts strictly for use with ONLY 5.56 / 300BK subsonic ammo. ( NO FULL power / sonic ammo otherwise it will batter your parts )

And assuming you have a carbine length buffer system.

KAK makes a set of light weight buffers.
https://kakindustry.com/lightweight-carbine-buffer-set

And I don't know how your Yellow recoil spring would compare to this recoil spring... but...
https://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-buffer-spring-stainless

Back