Expeditionary rifle in .308 and 7.62 x 39

Futo Inu

As you may know, this rifle is way cool. I have heard rumors it will be offered in these two calibers in the future. Questions:

1. Won't they have to make the reciever longer to make the .308 work?

2. The .223 accepts AR mags. Don't you think it best, if given the option, that the .308 take FAL mags, rather than M14 or some other, due to availability? Or better yet, in keeping with the modular design, have interchangeable modular magwell units for each (FAL metric, FAL inch, M14, etc.)?

Rifles that accept readily available high cap magazines are on the BATF endangered species list

They only want us to own 10 round rifles

They do not want us to have a new rifle that accepts cheap high caps, especially if it is a .308 rifle.

The .233 M-96 was approved in 1996,
i doubt it would be approved in 2000

On the AR15.com site someone is investigating 80% machined AR10 recievers and is looking into FAL mags for this rifle. I believe he said the mag must not be modified so that it no longer functions in its parent rifle.
To do so is to commit the sin of high cap magazine manufacture...

dZ

dZ, I am afraid you don't have it quite right. The ATF has MUCH more leeway in disapproving imported guns than they do US manufactured guns. Notice all those US-parts AKs, G3s and FALs around?
As for the mag thing, that isn't quite right either...the mag doesn't have to feed or function in its parent rifle, it just has to fit into the magwell.
And if you built a gun that took an unmodified FAL or G3 mag, there is nothing they could do about it.

Hmmm, if the BAT gestapo is giving Armalite (an American company, right?) hell about this conversion, then the M96 wouldn't have any better a chance, would it? I don't see how such a conversionis illegal under the 94 ban (not to even mention that the whole law is unconstitutional). How is building a rifle that accepts pre-bans violative (allegedly) of the 94 ban, which banned the manufacture or import of "assault weapons" and hi-cap mags? This isn't either one. It's NOT manufacturing an assault weapon. It's not importing an assault weapon. It's not manufacturing a hi-cap mag. It's not importing a hi-cap mag. This is the BATF making up their own damn legislation. I'm getting hot under the collar......

Listen, it is really not that complicated. Armalite can convert M14 mags over because they are keeping to the same basic dimensions as the M14 mag, just shaving off the lugs and adding a catch hole.
To convert FAL mags over, they basically have to junk the whole body and put the spring and floorplate on a newly-manufactured mag that does NOT externally resemble the dimensions of the FAL mag...the mag will not even fit in the mag well of a FAL.
ON THE OTHER HAND, if Armalite or anyone else made a rifle that took FAL mags and only required the shaving off of the external lug and cutting a new catch-hole, it would almost certainly be approved by the ATF under current laws and policy.

Back