Expanding the capacity of a Promag magazine for Beretta 92?

TXAZ

I've heard Promag doesn't have a great reputation, but I heard a guy talk about expand the capacity of a Promag 10 capacity 92FS magazine to 15 by drilling out the large dimple in the middle of the magazine that stops the addition of more rounds.
Anyone tried this or know if it is possible in a state where there is not a mag capacity limit?

Back during the AWB, this was very specifically a crime. Having a hi-cap was not a crime, but altering an AWB-era mag to emulate a hi-cap was a crime and having possession of LE-only market magazines was also a crime.

To answer your immediate question--
I have definitely seen ban-era magazines where altering them wouldn't be that difficult to accomplish. And I don't *think* it would be illegal currently (but am unsure)

There are two things I do know that are relevant, however:
--you're correct in your assumption that ProMag products... suck. I'd avoid them like the plague.

--full-cap magazines for the Beretta 92 may be one of the single easiest items to find out in this world. Mec-Gar makes the best, and makes the mags for Beretta. And I'm sure many of the other import mags are halfway decent also. It's not like you're looking for a rare item, trying ANYWAY possible to get to 15 rounds in a Beretta 92. So, in other words, I think this would be a fruitless project.

Furthermore, if you drill out the dimples, the magazine will fall apart.
The dimpled area is the only solid metal between the top and bottom sections, the rest has been "lanced", cut partly or entirely through to provide little or no strength.

All those reduced capacity AWB 1994 magazines had to be approved by the BATF as not readily convertible to full capacity. A simple plug or dent was not enough.

While curious, I just bought some "real" mags from Midway, so it's still a curiosity but a non issue.

Back