Example of TSRA's greedy ineffectiveness

shortcut

-- Texas State Rifle Association Email ---
August 28, 1999

Whether you are a shotgun shooter, hunter, competitor, or have never
attempted the shooting sports, this is a good way to come out and
enjoy a no-pressure day in a fun and relaxing atmosphere.

Volunteers will be on hand to provide instruction, safety procedures
and shooting pointers for the shotgun novices. Competitors should
furnish their own shotgun, safety glasses and hearing protection.
Those who want to watch but not compete will also be required to have
hearing and eye protection. If you do not have these items, please
call TSRA for arrangements.

Fee to participate is $110 for TSRA members and $130 for non-members
(includes 1 yr annual dues), and fee includes 50 targets, ammunition,
lunch and t-shirt. Proceeds go toward the TSRA youth and education
programs.

The event is sponsored by the TSRA, Dallas Arms Collectors and First
Call Firearms.

For more information, call the TSRA office at (972) 889-8772. Make
plans to come out September 10, have some fun, and raise money for
TSRA safety and youth programs!

Please visit the Texas State Rifle Association website: http://www.tsra.com/
If you wish to no longer receive email from TSRA, please send a message to
leavelist@tsra.com.

Hmmm. Got no way to know about effectiveness or ineffectiveness, but youth and educational programs usually make good PR.

Doesn't seem all that greedy. $10-$15 for a tee-shirt is common. Maybe it's worth $10 for the food. 50 targets ain't free to TSRA, nor is ammo. There's the obvious question of "how much ammo, for what gun?", of course. $20 (?) for a year's dues. They may have to rent a range, and maybe pay for some insurance...TANSTAAFL.

Sorry, but I can't agree with your "greedy" tag on it. Would you be just real proud to put a great big rompin', stompin' five bucks into such a program?

FWIW, Art

$110 and $130 does seem a little steep. I would think $75 and $100 might be more like it, but I don't think they are being greedy. I think they are trying to; put on a good social shooting event, keep youth programs going, get new members, and get good PR. The TSRA has done an absolute world of good in Texas and we most likely would not a CCW law if it were not for them. They spend a lot of money every year fighting bad state bills that could become laws that would adversely effect Texas gun owners. Personally I think I get more for my money from my TSRA membership dues than I do for my NRA dues. For the price, EVERY Texas gun owner should be a LIFE member of the TSRA, but you would be surprised how many Texans don't know that the organization even exists or want a free ride. Stand up and be counted!

[This message has been edited by TEX (edited August 29, 1999).]

Art, Bulldog & Tex,

I'm so glad each of you are willing to throw over a hundred bucks into the TSRA shoot, theoritically.

Tell me, from the "official" TSRA announcement do any of you know what, where, when and why the "shoot" is happening?

If you actually do enter and compete, I'll look forward to seeing the results on this page.

Meanwhile, TSRA has been the association behind the curve when it comes to proactive legistation in Texas. TSRA is too full of fat cats.

TSRA did NOTHING to introduce the "Range Protection Bill" last session, 2 individuals did that. Neither of them members of TSRA.

TSRA only introduces on the scene opportunists. Gib Lewis and that flit of a "spokeswoman" who - after Columbine - gave an interview to local TV stating that TSRA would support more handgun laws.

Well, my latest issue of the TSRA rag is packed away, and I rarely pay attention to most events. I'm either too far away, or I have other stuff to do. Not particularly planned, it just works out that way.

I mean, it's 150 miles to the nearest organized pistol competition! And dove season is coming...And I've got a bunch of road-rebuilding after the summer monsoon. And a new, un-tested 500-yard range to try out!

Seems to me TSRA was pretty busy during the CHL lobbying...

And, with respect to legislation, there's introducing bills, and there's lobbying for or against. Not every pro-gun Legislator always talks to TSRA before thinking...

FWIW, Art

With $5000.00 a plate fund raisers being common for political candidates this fund raiser doesn't seem greedy at all.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Proceeds go toward the TSRA youth and education
programs.

The event is sponsored by the TSRA, Dallas Arms Collectors and First
Call Firearms.

For more information, call the TSRA office at (972) 889-8772. Make
plans to come out September 10, have some fun, and raise money for
TSRA safety and youth programs![/quote]

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http:/www.ofcc.net

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited September 01, 1999).]

Back