• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Exactly what is and is not "firearms" related?

USP45usp

There have been many OT posts but one of mine, the "Dang Weather/Infections" post was firearms related, yet many of the ones that are OT are being left open.

So, if you please, a summary of what can, and cannot, be posted in relation to "firearms".

Wayne

Wayne, I can only give you my opinion of what is and what is not a firearms related topic. Other moderators may have a different opinion. We don't have a SOP Manual or Moderators Guidebook. We tend to drive these forums seat-of-the-pants. It seems to work well for the most part.

When I view a post or thread, I look for the single primary topic. Usually there is one specific topic that stands out, and there may be one or more secondary topics. If the primary topic is concerned with firearms, then I consider the entire post or thread firearms related. Now if the primary topic is not firearms related, but one of the secondary topics is, then a judgement call has to be made as to whether it should stay or go. Fairly simple and straightforward.

As for your weather/infection thread, about the only firearms relation I found was a single mention of going rifle shooting. The primary topic by a wide margin was your infection. IMO, the closure was proper for TFL.

Note that there will always be exceptions to this procedure (it's far from being a rule). A lot of judgment calls must be made. Some are good calls in the eyes of the membership, some are not. C'est la vie.

Mal, sensop:

Okay, I understand now. Yes, I guess the primary on my post was being sick but I worded it wrong. I meant to say that I hate being sick (getting sick) when I've been wanting to go to the range and fire my rifles of which I have around 7 now that I've never had the chance to fire.

Since I know what everyone is looking for, I'll try to word my posts better so there is no misunderstanding that it is firearms related :).

To tell you the truth, I kinda figured that I had written it wrong when all the replies were, "Hope you feel better". Was expecting more "sick" stories on folks looking to fire their new guns or things that have really kept them from doing range time that they were looking forward to it.

Wayne

Back