Ever use Sonic II hearing protection?

NoBite

I'm getting back into shooting after a 20-year hiatus. Way back when, I used Sonic II ear plugs.Still have two sets. They are non-traditional plugs in that they permit normal sounds to enter. But, sharp sounds activate a baffle that reduces the sound greatly.

If you have used Sonic II plugs at some time, I am interested in your opinion of them today in comparison to other forms of hearing protection. In other words, has something better come along?

I shoot 1911's, a Ruger Mark II and an occasional .357. Pretty much always shoot outdoors.

Thanks!

sonic II

I use the sonic II for hunting as I can't shoot my 300 Win. mag
with muzzle brake without some protection. I like being able to talk to my sons without removing the protection. We also use them whenever we shoot our handguns. Good product and priced right.

I tired them some years ago. I do not think the little check valve closes fast enough or tight enough for target shooting. They never seemed as quiet as plain plugs or muffs. Better than nothing for hunting with a loud rifle per kolob but you can do better for the range. I use both ends of the price range. The cheap foam plugs are quieter and more comfortable, electronic ear muffs let you hear conversation and range commands. If I were shooting a lot of magnums, I'd use them both.

IME

Have some from twenty years ago, too.
I have much better shooting performance when using cheap foam plugs under muffs.

Back