ever owned a colt "frontier sixshooter"

S&W 24

I found (or did it find me?) a Colt 1878 DA frontier sixshooter. It has a 5.5" barrel and is cambered in 44 S&W russian cartrige. The original finish seems to be blued at about 60% to 50% with some rust on the outside but it did place 4 out of 5 shots at 21' inside a thumbnail. Whats it worth? How rare are 44 russ chambered models? Are they good guns to shoot or to hang on the wall?

If it's chambered in .44 Russian, it's been either rebarreled or recylindered. Frontier Six Shooters were chambered in .44 WCF (.44-40). I've seen a DA FSS for sale, but don't remember the price. In the condition described, it's probably worth $500; the DA guns don't have nearly they value of the SA models.

Hi, RickB,

Sorry, but the DA Frontier Model (1878 Model) was chambered for the .44 Russian, along with .22, .32-20, .38-40, .38 Colt, .41 Colt, .44 German, .44 S&W, .45 Colt and the British .450/.455/.476 (all of which have the same case diameter). The .44 Russian chambering is uncommon, though I don't have an exact number right at the moment.

Hi, S&W 24,

So far as safety is concerned, the gun should be OK to fire, except that .44 Russian ammo may be hard to get. It is being made, but it is scarce. However, those guns have some delicate parts and if anything breaks, a replacement may be difficult and/or quite costly.

You can make .44 Russian brass out of .44 Special or .44 Magnum. If there are no shoulders in the chambers, .44 Special factory loads should work OK. (In spite of the longer case, .44 Special has the same working pressure level as .44 Russian.)

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIRE .44 MAGNUM or loads intended for the .44 Magnum in any gun not chambered and marked for that cartridge.

Jim

.44 Russian cases

I saw some Remington .44 Russian in modern boxes a couple of years ago. I'll bet you can find some at the larger gun shows or larger, older, gun shops.

Star Line lists new brass on their web site. I just checked, and their prices are:
500 for $ 62.50
1000 for $102.00
They don't show a price for 100, though. Might have to talk a dealer into ordering a bunch and then splitting it up for you. `

http://www.starlinebrass.com

Best,
Johnny

Back