ever installed a magewell on a 1911??? advice!!!

45acp

HAS ANYONE EVER INSTALLED A MAGWELL ON A 1911A1. I HAVE A SPRINGFIELD FULL SIZE 1911A1 AND AM THINKING OF INSTALLING A MAGWELL FROM WILSON OR S&A. I AM NOT A GUNSMITH BUT, THIS LOOKS PRETTY EASY. ANY ADVISE.

It is very easy to do. I personally like the Smith Alexander Magwell. You will probably have to file it a bit( just a bit )where the top of the magwell meets the grip safety and depending on the part you might have to mate it to the magazine opening.Make sure that when you file you file/check and do not file too much. Since it replaces the mainspring housing, make sure the triger was not affected or adjust as necesary.

They work great and add that bit extra weight that makes the gun a lot easier to rapid fire/double tap. IMHO

I've been playing with the idea of picking up a Kimber LW Compact and putting a S&A magwell on it. I think it would be about perfect since the Kimber compact frame is just a little too short for me to get a proper grip on. Even with the magwell attatched it would still be much lighter and more compact then my Stainless Classic which is my current carry gun.

bkm..

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...

You might want to check out the Ed Brown drop in magwell unit. The unit is a new mainspring housing and the magwell is removable via a screw that goes into the mainspring housing. I have used it twice on two different 1911's and I have been pleased with it. And the versatility is great if you ever want to remove the magwell.

I never had good experiences with the ones that you have to remove the grip panels or the bushings to install. If you want something durable and well finished,go with the S/A. They are as aesy to install as removing the mainspring housing and should you want to revert to the original is just as easy.

Speaking of Ed Brown, you might want to check out his .45 bench reference. Great deal for $31. Gives you good info on working on and maintaining 1911s.

Smith & Alexander is the one I have used on a couple of pistols. Very happy with the product. Tell Barbara hello if you call the company, they are in Garland, Tx right outside Dallas.

The Ed Brown unit I mentioned in my above post does was installed by myself, and I don't consider myself a gunsmith. You do need to be able to handle removing the mainspring housing and putting it all back together, but that shouldn't be a problem if you have patience and a minimal level of mechanical skill. If you also buy the Ed Brown 1911 book/manual (as mentioned by Mute) then that would also help tremendously...

45ACP, not necessarily. the S&A mainspring housing/mag well is one piece. I did have a gun that had a gap between the mag well and the base of the pistol frame. It did require fitting and if you are not mechanically inclined the work might be better left to a gunsmith before grinding on the S&A housing or the grip safety yourself.

Back