Ever experience this?

Timothy

I have a new Kimber Compact SS with 150 rounds through it. I'm shooting 230gr. cast with bullseye. Right from the start the spent brass came out unbelievably clean except for one area about 1/4 the way around and roughly from the mouth half way back centered about 9 o'clock. Big time blow-back. Directly behind this area their is considerable powder residue at the rim. When I wipe the powder residue off, the forward area remains sort of purple. A slight disscoloration remains in this area even after tumbling the brass. ( I indexed the brass with a black marker so I know where 12 o'clock is.) Examination of the chamber shows more residue in this area. The top left of the magazine is considerably dirtier than other areas.
I hope I'm not nit-picking but the pistol cost be a couple of bucks and it seems like the brass should be either all clean or all dirty, not just one spot. Thought I'd get your input before I contacted Kimber. Thanks in advance.

Timothy, I don't know what kind of load you're using, but I had this happen with my Colt when I was using weak charges. My theory was that there wasn't enough pressure to seal the cartridge to the chamber. It went away completely when I started using stronger loads. FWIW.

Zook:
Thanks for the reply.
The load range for bullseye for this bullet is 4.0 on the low end and 5.0 on the top end. I used 4.0, 4.5, and 5.0. No change. That too, was my first thought.

Back