Even more registration

striker3

I just found out that if you want netscape with 128-bit encryption...YOU GOTTA REGISTER IT!! Bank One uses 128-bit encryption for their online banking, which I use to keep track of my accounts. I have a 128-bit 4.51 netscape ver. which I've had for a while. I got it off of an FTP site. Now they have 4.61 out and I thought I would upgrade for the hell of it. But then it makes you fill out your name, address and all of that for their own records, in case the government ever needs them because you committed a crime with the encryption. This is their reason why "The United States Government considers U.S.-only versions of Netscape software to be tools that could be used by criminals and terrorists. Their distribution may be regulated by 15 CFR Parts 730-774, published by the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Export Administration, as the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and probably other laws and regulations. Encryption regulations as published in the EAR are available on the Internet."
If you would like to check this out for yourselves. here is a link. http://netscape.com/download/index.html?cp=djudowone go to the 128-bit part.
Now not only must we be progun, but procode also. HMMMM...this could be an interesting alliance. When TSHTF and we have the sound of rotors filling our ears, the techno wizzes could be at their computers attacking the mainframes that control those rotors...

[This message has been edited by striker3 (edited June 28, 1999).]

striker, i agree w/ ya' on the lack of privacy. i truly believe that there is no such thing anymore. anyone that knows how to work one of these things (computer) well, or maybe better than well, can find out all they want to know about you. i was doing a reverse e-mail search on a e-mail i got the other day, that sent my antennas to full alert, and found the guys address, phone #, education, where he worked, etc. and i don't even know what the hell i'm doing. and the government, if they want to know about you, they just look you up in a data base. there is no privacy. i do try to keep what they can find out to a minimum by not giving my SS# out(something that getting harder to do), not using my credit cards anymore than i have to. i use cash. keep only enough in the bank to pay bills. but then i think, hell they already know, so screw'um! they watch me long enough they'll get really bored! :)

------------------
what me worry?

When my son-in-law and I applied for deer and elk tags this year, we had to give out our SS numbers. It was explained that this was for the purpose of tracking dead-beeat dads. BS. We hunt with firearms, do we not? No registered guns? Guess what. GOTCHA!
Now I have learned that your savings institution has to report to BIG BROTHER your financial tranaction. Also your employer has to tell BB what your salary is, and update it when you get a raise. That comes from an article on Policy.com.
BNe careful. The next spy camera may be in your commode. BIG BROTHER NEEDS TO KNOW.
Paul B.

Paul i think the bank bill, got voted down. now, that don't mean they ain't doin' it, it just means that it got voted down. but the government ain't above doing something against the law, like keeping the names of people that has had ncic checks when they buy a firearm..

------------------
what me worry?

Lucas thanks for the link. i wish i could say i was surprised, but i ain't.

getting back to encryption, i loaded PGP encryption, and all is well and fine. and while they claim it's very hard to break in to, and may very well be to non-governmental computer snoops, i wonder about the gov. they wanted a backdoor put into all encryption, but that proposal was supposed to have failed. but i really wonder. them folks have been known to do things w/o tellin' anybody.
opinions wanted!!!!
------------------
what me worry?

[This message has been edited by longhair (edited June 29, 1999).]

Back