Even a blind pig finds an acorn every now and then...

Gewehr98

A teaser, as it were, but something basically fell into my grubby little paws tonight.

I considered it one of my Mauser Holy Grails, so it's turning out to be a very good, albeit early, Christmas this year.

Q: When is a K98 Mauser not a K98 Mauser?

A: When it's a K. K. Wehrsportgewehr made by the Gustloff-Werke in Suhl.

The SAd.NASDP stock cartouche is very obvious, as are two examples of a type of Waffenampt eagle on the barrel and receiver, albeit with an "N" versus the typical swastika underneath.

Different views, starting with the receiver ring:

topsuhl.jpg

Right side receiver markings, showing the toggle safety:

rightsuhl.jpg

Left side receiver markings, Waffenamts?

leftsuhl.jpg

Muzzle end, bayo lug accepts standard 98 Mauser bayonet...

muzzlesuhl.jpg

Happy dance of joy! :D

I have a Mauser with some of the same markings on the barrel. Mine is a sport version my dad picked up during the occupation in the 40s. My question is what deos "Buschen" mean? It says caliber 22 long for "Buschen". I speak passable German (or did) butthat one leaves me clueless.

Gewehr98,

Ooh! A KKW! Nice catch! Notice how green with envy I am ->:D

bigjack59 said:
My question is what deos "Buschen" mean? It says caliber 22 long for "Buschen".

"Büchsen" is the word for a sporting or hunting long gun. ".22 lang für büchsen" is ".22 Long Rifle".

(The old German bazooka copy was called the "panzerbüchse", or tank hunting rifle.)

Tamara said:
"Büchsen" is the word for a sporting or hunting long gun

I agree, I have a late 19th century German-made double rifle that has the maker's name & 'Hofbuschenmacher' on the top rib. Translates to 'Court Arms Maker', similar to some of the English makers using 'By Appointment to HRH......'.

Tamara said:
(The old German bazooka copy was called the "panzerbüchse", or tank hunting rifle.)

I think you're thinking of the Panzerfaust ("tank fist"), a rocket launcher as opposed to a rifle, and which actually wasn't a copy of the US 2.75 inch Anti-Tank Rocket Launcher, aka "bazooka".

GNLaFrance said:
I think you're thinking of the Panzerfaust ("tank fist"), a rocket launcher as opposed to a rifle, and which actually wasn't a copy of the US 2.75 inch Anti-Tank Rocket Launcher, aka "bazooka".

Good try, but actually I was confusing the Panzerbüchse and Panzerschreck.

Sorry, it's been a couple years since my last game of Squad Leader. :D

"The SAd.NASDP stock cartouche is very obvious, as are two examples of a type of Waffenampt eagle on the barrel and receiver, albeit with an "N" versus the typical swastika underneath."

The Eagle-N marks are the commercial proofs that were required starting in April 1940, replacing the earlier BUG/Crown commercial proof marks. Your rifle is most likely from 1940-41. The Gustloff series ended at around 274,000 late in WWII.

Back