Etiquette..or lack thereof..

Danzig

I almost posted this in the Mike Huckabee thread but realized that it would have been misplaced. Several persons in that thread are complaining that the thread had been invaded by "Pauloids". While they may have a point...they themselves are guilty of the same thing in "Ron Paul" themed threads. Can't say it will change..but I had to point out the hypocrisy.

Don't try to excuse bad behavior by pointing to the other sides bad behavior. Both sides need to cool off for awhile. Personally I would like the mods to stop all political candidate discussions for awhile. Until people learn to act like adults, and learn respect people's opinions. There is nothing wrong with having a good debate but when people just spam other posts, or flame a poster then it has gotten out of hand.

Danzig,
I was on the board in 2000, and that election year brought out the same emotional tripe as this one. After November '08, we'll all return to being pro-gun, pro-liberty and pro-ettiquette again. Just wait and bear the storm while people decide who is electable and who is not. Then we can all get back to being TFL again.

Well, try imagining a time and place where nobody gives a damn and doesn't get all emotional about electing officials....

Yikes.

Personally I would like the mods to stop all political candidate discussions for awhile. Until people learn to act like adults, and learn respect people's opinions.

While I understand some people go to the extreme in their post I certainly don't wish to see the political side of this site curtailed as it was on another board I believe in removing all political discussion removes the benefit of boards like this. If we silence all who say what we don't like then it's a slippery slope and we face that today in America in the form of being PC.

What works for me is the click and forget method on poor taste posts.:D

The problem I have is with those who seem to go out of their way to post negatively about candidates that they do not support. We don't all do that. I am unapologetically a supporter of Ron Paul. Others are not. That's fine.

But I do not infiltrate other people's threads to bash their candidates of choice and it would be pleasant if others could be as courteous.

A lot of the recent problems in L&P started popping up with the Ron Paul threads. Look, I understand that RP supporters are excited by RP. But if the RP supporters start Ron Paul threads and assert that Ron Paul is the best candidate, then they ought to be prepared to back up those assertions, especially when we hear how RP is the "most constitutional", will "bring our county back to the constitution", and all of the other gaping, unsupported conclusions that are regularly applied to Ron Paul. It gets to the point that some of those threads devolve to what amounts to empty conclusions that Ron Paul is absolutely perfect, and every other candidate is absolutely imperfect. And yes, the RP threads do tend to do that. And some RP supporters even try to dominate or spin other threads that have nothing to do with Ron Paul, like the new one about Huckabee. Especially when there are already three other new threads already going that are specifically about Ron Paul. It's like we have 3 or 4 megaphones shouting RON PAUL all at the same time from different directions, even in threads that have nothing to do with RP. There are a lot of RP burnouts here who simply get bored by all of the constant RP threads. If RP supporters like him, they are certainly entitled to start their own threads about him; but they ought to be prepared to support those conclusions, and they shouldn't take it so personally when others question Paul's votes, positions, candidacy, or philosophy.
JMHO, and I'm not trying to call any particular member out or to deliberately offend Ron Paul supporters.

You have to take it all into perspective.

During the last election, there was more debate, arguing, trash talk and protesting than at any time since our protest years.

After the dust settled and the exit polling figures were posted, it turned out the student vote amounted to 17 percent.

The real deciding factors are research and then actually voting.

Back