Estate Sale, picked these up

Venti30

Hi,

Curious how I did. Found myself in the position to pick up these three as a lot in an estate sale. Paid $585 with all fees, FFL transfer etc.

I like the two 38 specials, not in love with the HR 32acp, so may do something with that after a while. All in good condition, I'm told formerly owned by a retired LEO.

I've already ordered the dies to load 38 special, will just buy some .32 to function test the HR. The HR was listed as having a safety hammer, but it turned out to just be a regular hammer, not cut down but no big deal as I wasnt interested in it anyway.

Curious of your thoughts on the deal I got?

attachment.php

Below was the slightly incorrect estate sale description (regarding the .32)

1- Smith & Wesson Model 640 snub nosed revolver chambered in .38 Special caliber introduced in 1990. Wood grips. Like other "J-frame" Smith & Wesson revolvers, it has a swing-out cylinder, but this model features a concealed hammer, and is part of the Centennial line. Like new, in original box with paperwork.
2- Taurus Model 85 Ultra-Lite 38 Special +P Matte Stainless Revolver. Like new, in original box with paperwork.
3- H&R Harrington Richardson Safety Hammer 32

Attachments

• 3revolvers.jpg
    3revolvers.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 942
Okay, can you expand on why you think that? These are my first revolvers, I've got 8 semi automatics. Im partial to the J Frame, don't care much one way or the other about the other two. I guess my opinion on the 32 is that is seems like an odd caliber.

Is the HR a better handgun in design or execution that the Taurus?

Not arguing, genuinely interested in why you feel the way you do...

Thanks!

Guess I should've added that the only reason I went in on these, was that I am partial to the J frame as a BUG, and figured that the other two had some sort of value that would reveal itself later.

Sort of a spur of the moment thing, the way it happened.

I have had such miserable experience with Taurus revolvers and their warranty service...I would not take one if it were given to me...based on my experience, they are junk. That is just me...others will feel differently. As I said, my experience with 3 has not been good. And, come to think of it, I was at the range with my SIL last week and he had a new Taurus given to him by his father...it was an auto, and it was not running very well, either.

I think you did very well. The h&R looks to be nickel plated. I have a friend who owns a bunch of them. He loves them. Great little guns. original grips. The 640 if in a local gun store would be priced between 400-500 dollars. Good haul

I suspect you got more than your money's worth just on the S&W. The other two, I have no opinion. You can shoot them and see how they perform or how you like them. You might be able to shed those two and almost cover the cost of the S&W.

Yes, I think you did well.

The picture shows the barrel stamp as 32 S&W. You don't see that ammo on the shelf much around here. You do run into it's taller brother, 32 S&W Long, but it doesn't appear this gun was made for that.

My thoughts are that you got a good deal. I know Taurus doesn't get much love but the 85’s are nice little shooters.

I think you will find that the H&R is actually a 32 S&W Long. I don't think they ever made a 32 S&W (short) with the longer cylinder. The model number will help confirm this. I suspect you have either a model 632 or 732. I have what appears to be the same revolver marked as a 732 and it too has the barrel marking of 32 S&W without the word 'Long'. I did the research years ago. If it is either a 632 or 732 it is a 32 S&W Long revolver.

I actually like mine. it has a very precise locking mechanism with four distinct clicks and shoots very well. I load for 32 S&W Long so I can keep the costs of ammunition down to pennies. it isn't a bad practice weapon.

I'd keep the S&W and the H&R. Sell the Taurus ASAP. They have issues with their transfer bars breaking. Taurus is aware of it but won't change the metallurgy or heat treatment (I think they need to be stress relieved after bending).

The 640 with box is worth $500 by itself. I would sell the others. The H&R might bring a good price to the right buyer. Looks to be in good shape and these guns have some collectable interest.

Back