Estate handgun transfer rules for New Jersey to New York?

FrontSight

My wife's grandfather passed away, and he used to be a NYC police officer. Her grandmother would like to pass his old service revolver to me now...

The NYPD handgun division says I am good to go once it gets to my NYC FFL Dealer.

So I called my FFL and he said that he just needs to receive it from a NJ FFL, but he is not sure what she needs to do to legally get it to a NJ FFL.

Does anyone know what the rules are for New Jersey in order for her to do so?

Thanks!

Has gramma asked a NJ FFL how to transfer a handgun to someone in NY ?

No, she is in her 80's and I don't want her to have to do anything at all other than the absolute minimum such as signing a form or something; I want to do all the legwork and research for her and then let her know what I have found out.

Does anyone know a reliable NJ FFL?

Thanks

If she is the legal owner why can't you just have her sign her name to a bill of sale making you the new owner. She can sell it to you for $1.00 and then you fill out the state paperwork.

Most Jersey gun shops have their FFL, and any that do will transfer a firearm for you...for a fee of course.

The cheapest Ive seen around my area is $35, which is expensive to others on the west coast who pay $10 for a transfer. It seems like on average in NJ, they range from $35-50.

Not sure where your located but here are a few that I deal with that I would consider dependable:
www.casosguns.com
www.sportsmansrendezvous.com
www.brickarmoryllc.com

www.shoreshotpistolrange.com is right next to Brick Armory. Ive heard negative things about them, but I shot there once to try it out and the employees were pretty nice. Other than that, I cant talk.

Caso's Gun-a-rama is by far one of the most reputable shops in NJ. Theyre customer service is unbelievable, they can [most likely] order anything you need, and Frank (owner) and his daughters (employees) are some of the nicest people youll ever meet at a gun shop. I highly suggest them.

Thanks guys...I called a few NJ FFLs and they are all telling me that Grandma just has to come in with it and a driver's license and they can then ship it to my FFL.

MUCH, MUCH easier than I thought, and a hell of a lot easier than NYC laws for sure!

Back