Essex SxS

ERRainman

I located an Essex 16 ga Sxs in a local shop and am interested in determining its worth. The serial # is 239xxx IIRC. There is the typical wear on the metal but it locks up tight and there is no pitting or excessive wear noticeable. The wood has seen better days, but it's not cracked or split anywhere. The forearm is very thin, and the gun handles well. He's asking a pittance for it -$250 - and since I know very little about these guns I could use some input.

Thanks,

ERRainman

You might want to ask this on Harley's Forum,there's a couple SXS experts there.

I believe the Essex was an inexpensive double, made at the end of the 1800s. Even in great condition, it's not a valuable piece. If it's not Damascus or twist steel bbled, it may be safe to shoot with light lead loads, but I wouldn't put a round through ANY old shotgun w/o a good smith looking it over first.

If the smith OKs it, tho, you probably have a nice old piece suitable for a little light shooting and admiring.

Good luck...

ERraqinman:
The Essex shotgun was made by Crescent Arms for the Belknap Hardware Co of Louisville KY. Crescent made guns for just about any Hardware Co. (thus the name "Hardware gun)or retailers that wanted to have a shotgun made. From your description the price is about average, although I would probably bit at $175.00 and pay $200.00. Here is the Crescent Story.

CRESCENT ARMS

This Company mfg’d good quality, inexpensive side by side and single Bbl shotguns and was founded in 1883. They were bought by the H&D Folsom Arms Company of New York, importers and distributors of firearms and sporting goods.

After the purchase of Crescent, the Folsom Company was able to offer a complete range of shotguns, imported English French, Belgium and American made Crescents. By the turn of the century Crescent Arms produced huge quantities of “Hardware Guns” it produced guns under direct contract to distributors, mail order housed and hardware distributors with any brand name the customer requested. Crescent also produced guns for its parent company, as Folsom house brands that were sold to customers that did not want their own brand name.

By the lat 1890's Crescent was producing basically five grade of dbl bbl shotguns offering a model for most tastes. The Crescent /Folsom Arms Company continued this type of business until 1930 when it merged with Davis Warner Arms Corp and became the Crescent-Davis Arms Corp. In 1932 it assets and machinery were bought by Stevens Arms Company, a victim of changing tastes and the depression

HJN

This gun does not have Damascus nor any other type of twisted steel barrels. Of that much I'm certain.

What I would like to discover is approximately when it was made. Is there any way to trace that by the serial # ?

If I can talk him into this, I'm going to take it to a smith prior to purchase. You know, hold my check, my Credit Card, or my thirdborn child until I return this afternoon. I don't think it'll be a problem because I've been a very loyal customer in his near dead store.

Thanks again for all you help!

ERRainman

A ramble...

My father was born in 1922 and got an Essex long about 1930 or so.
He hunted with it a lot, successfully, and has never said anything really bad about it. He got rid of it when he could afford something better and has never missed it. To be fair about this, he replaced it with a 20 ga. Model 12.

The only time he ever mentions the Essex is when he's trying to figure out how it got from Louisville to Charlottesville, Virginia in the first place.

John

P.S. - My father said the wood on his had seen better days even when it was new.

Back