Essex framed 1911 questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSG

Hi guys,

I picked up a pretty neat 1911 pattern .45 yesterday. I'm cetain it's a parts gun as there are no markings on the slide. The frame is an Essex SS (#621xx) and the slde is traditionally blued with no outside markings. It does have a flat top rib though and I'm not familiar with who makes these.

The barrel is a bull with a compensator. It's very nice although the slide to frame fit is more GI than target (read rather loose). Functions well and seems to be accurate during a little back yard plinking (can you "plink" with a .45? :)).

Do any of you guys know how can figure out just what I've got in the way of parts, etc? It's a really nice piece and came with three quality mags for all of $400. I figure the parts are worth at least that much!

Also, anyone know how I can remove a compensator?

[This message has been edited by CSG (edited November 25, 1999).]

Sounds like someone had an "anonymous" slide and decided to make up a gun. You can see those kinds of parts at the gun shows. The slide may have been marked originally and polished off or not marked at all.

If the gun shoots OK, and you didn't spend a lot for it, have fun. It probably works better than some of the high dollar clones people are complaining about.

Jim

CSG, the only way I figured out to remove a Comp was to lay it over a gas stove flame to melt the Locktite on the thread (it's threaded on) & then to unscrew it with a shifting spanner.
Yep, I'd say you got your $ worth in parts !
I recently put down a deposit on a Colt Gold Cup with a single port Comp for $350 Aus.
I normally shoot a P-16 in .40cal & was getting a bit reminisant of my Norinco .45 I sold off a while back.
Drop by my site some time.

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

HS,

Thanks for your comments. I have visited your site recently. I thought you folks down under had to turn everything in and were no longer able to own firearms. Apparently, it's not as horrible as I thought.

Regarding my Essex .45, I noticed there is no barrel bushing! I wonder if that's unusual for a compensated barrel. I have yet been able to figure out how to field strip it (I'm a Beretta and Glock shooter). Last .45 I owned was many years ago, a Star PD.

This .45 is a keeper but it doesn't satisfy my craving for a traditional mil-spec version.

[This message has been edited by CSG (edited November 25, 1999).]

In 1982 I ordered a complete .45 government kit from Numrich Arms in West Hurley, NY. The kit came with an Essex frame, a plain slide, and all the standard parts to make your own slab-sided .45, all "in-the-white". Over the next year or so I had the slide bead-blasted and blued, the frame polished and nickled, Pachmayr grips, allow trigger, sear job, beavertail grip, extended slide, safety and mag releases, Millet sights, etc., etc. You get the picture. Damn thing was reliable as hell.

Bottom line, I think what you got there is a kit gun that someone obviously put a lot of time and love into. It should do just fine for combat-style shooting, but don't expect it to break any records for extreme accuracy.

I wish I still had mine (it was stolen this summer when my home was broken into).

Good shooting.

No question that it's a parts gun. What I'm trying to figure out is who's parts? Barrel, slide, sights, etc.

The reason there's no bushing is that the Tapered back part of the Comp seats the barrel in place on the slide. :)
E-mail George Stringer (gunsmith@spis.net)from the 'Smithy Forum as to markings etc. on the frame & slide.
He uses Essex frames a lot & is extremely knowledgeable !

------------------
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Thanks, HS. I was just trying to figure this lack of a bushing out last night and as I perused my Brownell's catalog, I saw that compensated bull barrels did not use the bushing. Much to learn!

I still have not been able to figure out how to field strip the thing.

Well, 1st check it's unloaded. ;)
Then pull the slide back until the SMALL cut out in the slide is INLINE with the slide stop.
Then push out the slide stop from the r/h side.
The upper assembly should then slide off the frame.
You'll either have a standard spring setup where you can just pull the guide rod & spring off the barrel or it'll be one of two full length guides that either require a pin to be inserted with the slide on & pulled back to compress the spring & then with the pin inserted "capture" the guide rod OR where the rod is a two piece & has to be uncrewed from the front with either ahex wrench or a blade screw driver....Whew ;)
Try http://www.insidetheweb.com/messageboard/mbs.cgi?acct=mb331278&MyNum=942552644&P=No&TL=942552644 on how NOT to do it but it eventually had a HAPPY ending !...LOL
Or for a less amusing way to strip it, go to http://www.m1911.org/m1911dt.htm & look for the dis-assembly section. :)

------------------
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

CSG,
What you might consider is simply replacing the compensated barrel with a stock one. As long as the end of the slide hasn't been machined specificly for a bull barrel it shouldn't be a problem to put in a plain barrel and bushing. You'll also need a stock recoil spring and plug. The whole thing could probably be done for $100 or less with stock Colt parts.
Since you mentioned you have a Brownell's catalog, you might give the barrels made by Storm Lake Machine Co. a try. This is Brownell's "house brand". They come as drop-in units with bushings and are much cheaper than the big name brand units. I've used them before with very good results.

HS, thanks once again for the links. I had the one with the step-by-step but still was a little confused (Berettas and Glocks *are* easier!).

Grayfox, I've been wondering about doing just that! The compensator does help control muzzle flip but they look funny on a pistol (to me). We've got a gunsmith who's a member of our local shooting club and I thought I'd bring this .45 along next week. For all I know, he may have built the damn thing! In any event, he ought to be able to give me some more edjumacation on it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back