Epoxy to attach receiver sight?

littlephil

No I don't mean as a permanent solution, just to hold it on until I can borrow the use of a drill press to d&t. The only real problem I can see will be if I need to remove it from the rifle later. This is on a mauser action if it makes any difference. I have some jb quick (though probably not the best idea for reason of later removal) but could also pick up something a little better suited. The reason for this epoxy idea is because I have no (to my knowledge) means of holding the sight in place to mark where the holes will be. Any suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

PHIL: Which kind of sight? How big? how heavy?
Epoxy will hold if sight is not too big/heavy. Heat from a heat gun will loosen bond w/o harming the action. Some epoxies will set with a little elasticity instead of setting hard and brittle. (I think they're the 'quick-set 5 min. type. They might be the best to try first). The slight elasticity will keep the sight tightly in place without the chance of breaking loose from the recoil and the brittleness not adhering to the metal. Worth a try.

Been there once......Long time ago with a SS shotgun. Both front and rear sights.

WILL

Last edited:
WILL, the sight is a Williams 5D-JEMS. It's not very heavy at all, a couple ounces at most. I'll have to see what I can find at the store the next time I stop. Thanks for the quick reply.

3M Double sticky tape

Let me suggest something that I often use and by all means, I'm not making any guarantees. I wish I could see a better view of the contact surface but here it goes. ...... :rolleyes:

I clean all "contact" surfaces with mineral spirits of something stronger. The point is to remove all oils that might be present. Then I apply 3M double sticky tape to the sight and remove the protective covering. Carefully position and make contact with the receiver. Once you are there, it's stuck but not so much that you won't be able to remove it later. If you don't hit your mark the first time, try it again. Might help if you disassemble the sight and only retain the portion that will be mounted. .... :)

Good luck and
Be Safe !!!

Have tried that a time or two also. If you do, place a strip of waxed paper on the surface after you strip the backing off, and lightly set the sight in place--then remove one piece at a time. Once anything touches the sticky stuff...it's there for a while.
Acetone is the best for cleaning the surfaces.

Good Luck.

WILL.

Thanks for the advice fellas. I went ahead and used the jb kwick I had on hand earlier. A Google search showed that it releases at a much lower temp than regular jb. Got it stuck on and the stock hogged out for it. :D Now hopefully it'll hold up long enough to make sure I can get decent groups out of this gun, and (hopefully soon) get to a drill press. Thanks again for all the advice.

One of the most frequently recommended gunsmiths in the Salt Lake City area used to (prior to retirement) attach quite a few sights and sight bases with....

Super Glue.

Worked well for him and his customers. To this day, my father owns a .375 H&H with a super glued front sight, with at least 400 rounds under its belt (since the glue, not total through the rifle).

Since shear strength is fairly low, removal just requires a well placed whack with a hammer, to remove the sight in the future. (Or heat. But what fun is heat?)

SuperGlue...removal just requires a well placed whack with a hammer,...
Oooooh, ouch ! :eek: ;)

I've mounted/shot tang sights for months of shooting using masking tape of all
things, but PaHoo's double-sticky tape idea for mounting against the curved
surface of a Mauser reciver makes a lot of sense.

Hmm, the super glue idea is interesting. I guess I never would've thought to try it on something like this. I think I'll skip the masking tape, :D but I'm surprised it held up. I'll definitely try one (or several) of these other ideas if the jb doesn't work. Once I get everything buttoned up on this rifle I'll start a new thread and put up some pics. It's by no means gonna be pretty, but I'm buildin it to hunt with. :rolleyes: Thanks again for all the suggestions and info.

If (and that's the operative word) the mount ended up being positioned well- it's in line with the bore and shoots well- just use a correct size transfer punch to mark the hole centers on the receiver. It's still hard to do the d&t on a drill press- make sure the receiver is level before drilling, and best to use a stiff center drill like you would on a mill to get the hole started so the bit won't walk on you. After drilling the hole, use the chuck to keep the tap centered and vertical with a tap guide like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005317ZMC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Thanks for the tip Tobnpr. I'll be sure and remember that when I get access.
Just an update, I shot the rifle last night and the sight is still as solid as before. Thanks again for everyone's words of wisdom and help with my project.

I used super glue to secure scope mounts for drill and tap after bore sighting. The scope was secured with rubber bands for bore sighting before super glue was applied.:) Did couple rifles this way and it is easy to clean up with solvent.

Back