doc540

met this retired jarhead at the range today

saw his WWII-design shoulder rig and walked over to check it out

it was an exact replica

IN IT was an original, unrestored, 80%, 1943 Remington Rand 1911

and he was shooting it

my hero :)

bd1fcbe4-b45b-4a81-b3af-3bd5d4d9876a_zps9a4652ab.jpg

I have one of those which says "U.S. ENGER-KRESS 1944" on the back.

It's right handed, and the black parts on the one pictured are copper or brass on it. I never could figure out how it hooked together.

Do you recall how the straps ran in the back?

The strap with the ammo pouch...
is that the other end of the strap which goes over the shoulder (the hole pattern in that strap changes),
or is it the same strap (1 hole every 2" throughout) that leaves the holster near the ejector port?

Here's a pic from the "fanciest grips" thread.

Notice how the strap which connects to the top of the holster seems to go over the shoulder on the other side, unlike the arrangement in the OP.

Last edited:
It looks like there might have been two ways to wear the same holster: one way used one strap which went over the opposite shoulder (pic in previous post); and another way which used two straps like in the OP where both ends of one strap are connected to the holster, and the ammo pouch strap clips in the front and goes around the shoulder strap in the back.

Thank God for ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-US-Arm...ultDomain_0&hash=item43ba18b2bc#ht_483wt_1172

I know a police officer who carries, daily, a 1943 80% Remington Rand on duty. I know because I carried it working for the same department. It will put an entire magazine on a standard torso target at 100 yrs if you do your part. That same department has one Colt and two Ithacas from the same era...got to love the LEASO program!

M7 style holster,wore an M3 in Honduras with a Ithaca .45.Was easier getting in and out of a 151,easier to get to while driving also.

He also offered that he carries another 1943 Rand with some non-original parts.

Then he said the only time he'd ever had to shoot someone with a carry gun was with his .38 snub (which he produced from his left pocket).

Pointed to the left-center of his chest and said, "I came down the stairs and shot them once, right here, but didn't hit anything important. But it did cause them to run yelling out of my house."

Like I said, "Epic Jarhead 1911 Dude". :)

Carmady,

There are two versions of that holster. The WWII era (and likely Korea) "M3" versions, have only one strap. The Viet Nam era and later "M7" versions have an additional strap, like you see in the above pic.

This may give a better idea how the straps work.

images

Pacific canvas and Leather has versions of both if you want a "user". Personally, Id keep the original somewhere safe, and use one of the better replicas for use.

I have a PC&L, as well as an El Paso, both M3 versions, and I also have an old Cathey Ent. M3, which I like the best.

The El Paso is a nice holster, but pricey, and was very oily when I got it, and took some work to get it to stop "sweating" oil.

The PC&L is the cheapest looking, but still quite functional, and probably the best deal dollar wise.

All the more reason to believe this Marine has a custom, high quality copy, as it looks REAL nice and is left handed....not something you get with most of the other offerings. Also, El Paso makes the M3 version, I think. I don't believe I have seen an M7 from them.

AK103K,

Thanks for posting that pic, that makes it very clear. I'd looked on the net before for pics, but didn't find much.

The one I have is the M7 type with the extra strap, and I was under the impression it was used in WWII. It does have 1944 stamped on the back.

I was always under the impression the M7's were later, but I could easily be wrong.

From what Ive seen, the older or M3 versions had a slightly wider main strap than the M7's, and didnt use the slip on comfort piece. Is the main strap on yours that way? Maybe it was adapted later to use the second strap.

Well turtle feathers, now I have to try and find mine because I don't remember which one it was but I'm thinking two straps. Haven't worn it in 10 or 12 years, (out grew it, don't ask). It was nice but that was about time I had rotator cuff surgery and it was hard to put on by myself, it's also when I added a few pounds from not being very active.

Speak of the devil, found it and it was the Viet Nam era 2 strap model but it looks like its been drug through the woods and sweat upon a few hundred times. Mine isn't pretty like the OP picture of his Marine friends holster. Almost fits again, that's a good thing. Time to dig out the saddle soap and see if I can get down to leather. Got mine in a surplus store and it was used before I ever got it and then used and abused since then.

AK103K: "From what Ive seen, the older or M3 versions had a slightly wider main strap than the M7's, and didnt use the slip on comfort piece. Is the main strap on yours that way? Maybe it was adapted later to use the second strap."

Mine is like the one in the pic you posted, and the one in the OP. Doesn't look like it was altered at all, but after seeing this thread I'm 100% sure it was put together incorrectly when I got it, which makes me feel a little better about not being able to figure it out before. Here's a couple pics of it after seeing how it's supposed to be. It's dated 1944.

Last edited:
That looks a lot like my Cathey Ent. holster, but mine just has the one, slightly wider strap with no attachments. Mine isnt dated though.

Back