Environmentally Safe Ammunition

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Reloading Forum. I chose here because the questions refer to factory new offerings.

Most of the major manufacturers now offer some form of ammunition containing no lead, antimony or other heavy metals. Technology is developing rapidly, with bullet weights and ballistics approaching that of lead bullets in pistol and shotgun calibers.

I'm looking for info on comparative costs of these offerings.
Thanks in advance,
Rich

Rich: I've read of the Bismuth replacement of steel, in shotguns; it meets environmental concerns, apparently, as it is non-toxic--although a heavy metal. It is higher cost, but no specifics.

Last Sat's "Shooting Show" on TNN had a bit about tungsten shot. Inert metal, physically and biologically. Almost as heavy as lead, as compounded. Definitely more expensive. Again, no specifics.

Did your question also refer to handgun and rifle bullets?

FWIW, Art

I have been wondering about this too...

I knives - new metals are all the rage. I can see bullet makers touting this as well in there ads "New ATS-55 Tipped Noslers!"

------------------
"America is a melting pot, the people at the bottom get burned while all the scum floats to the top."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited August 25, 1999).]

Have looked at Bismuth as a possible replacement for steel shot. Nope... the price was over three times that of steel...

------------------
Richard

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!

Art-
Sorry about the info deficit. I'm interested in rounds for handgun thru carbine calibers, plus shotgun.

A old friend emailed me about starting a range (indoor and outdoor) and is looking at the feasibility of requiring "green" ammunition from a cost standpoint.
Rich

I'm a little concerned about the environment.

I'm a LOT concerned about my own lungs. I'll be looking into these (I'm also joining the local private gun club because of lead concerns at the indoor range).

Doesn't Winchester make the "RangeSafe" round, lead free primers, and either a totally jacketed lead bullet or a jacketed zinc bullet?

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

A good one Rich, nice to see you again after our last exchange. Very relevant indeed to the future of shooting everywhere... There is no locally made "green "ammo in OZ, but the NSW police service had a lead scare from their union/federation recently and they switched to teflon coated .40S&W lead SWCs successfully, which are fully recyclable and re-moulded by club members incidentially!(free -no money- raw lead for anyone).
The ICI Company in UK had a soft composite shot for evaluation 5 years ago, it was a pollimer/plastic/tungsten (in only UK#6?) shot for testing by our SSAA tester Ron Forsyth... but he was unimpressed.
Bismuth shot is being made by an aussie process, I believe in Canada, by a patent and secret process at the moment, but no reports yet in the Journal(ssaa.org.au).
We do have lead waterfowl bans in WA amd NT and steel shot is the only alternative at present...but @AUD$1.50 a shot as opposed to 0.40c!
Copper or nickle coated shot (and of course the usual pistol/rifle projectiles!) are used in Spain and USA for live pigeon trap-shooting and turkey respectively, I am told. These give lovely tight patterns but are really expensive. I have tried to get a supply but failed, except for some Winchester US#4 in a buffered 12GA 3" load(AUD$30 for 25!), which when examined were only 50% flash-coated anyway and of doubtful validity - balistically speaking. No doubt it got some extra sales though...

------------------
***Big Bunny***

Back