Entry Level shooting matches

Just wanted to gather some input from you all. Are there any series' that would allow a shooter get his "feet wet" in the world of competitive shooting? I am based in Ohio but am willing to travel a bit (surrounding states, ect).

So can anyone make any recommendations on something I can research and look into?

Yes, all of them, every one fires any type match for the first time at one time or other.

Having said that, I recommend CMP GSM Vintage Rifle Games. The CMP has GSM Master Instructors scattered all over the country. They put on Clinics often followed by a match. Many provide ammo and guns for the clinics and have loaner guns at the matches. It is really geared for the new shooters.

Its not a money sport, you can be competitive with a $100 Mosin and cheap surplus ammo. They are limited to "As Issued" surplus military rifles so you don't have to compete with multi thousand dollar guns.

ICORE
is also a fun shoot and can be done reasonably.

But again. don't be afraid to jump right in and start shooting. We were all new at one time or other, and I've found in just about all disciplines, the older, experienced shooters are more then willing to jump right in and help new shooters.

I've shot a lot of First Time matches, Allways three things happen;

I learn something
I have fun
I meet great people.

Just do it.

Edit: To Add CMP Competition Informatin:

http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions.htm

Last edited:
The NRA target pistol matches are challenging and a lot of fun - 25 yards and 50 yards, one handed. Our local club runs one every weekend, I'm sure there's something close in your area.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! IDPA and USPSA. Any local match is always welcoming "new" shooters and the only way to "get your feet wet" get out and shoot a match. At some point we were all newbies. Granted some folks shoot like they came out of the womb with firearms in there hands bazing away. We all had to start somewhere.

+1 on the USPSA match. I just shot in my first match ever and what an amazing experience! I told them when I signed up that it was my first match of any kind and they were more than helpful. Everyone I met was really friendly and supportive of this "new shooter."

Will

With the right group of folks, ANY competition match can be a good first one.

With that said, I always thought pin shooting was a nice way to transition from paper targets to timed competition; no movement, generally short strings at a known distance and a standard course of fire that you can repeat a few times.

Larry

Ohio has a lot of everything. If you want excitement shoot USPSA, IDPA or steel challenge. There are a bunch if great competitive shooters in Brian Enos. Com forums. Look them up A's they would like the rest if us be happy to tell you about their shooting sport.

What are you interested in... action pistol (run and gun) bullseye pistol, 3-gun, rimfire, High power, long range, etc, etc.? All are available in Ohio. You have the pistol and rifle nationals held at Camp Perry, there are clubs for just about anything there.

Back