Enjoy Independence Day and remember its significance

• Thread starter Thread starter DC
  • Start date Start date

DC

Moderator Emeritus
Lot's of fun planned for tomorrow...standard contry 4th.
Good friends and family, plenty of refreshments and BBQ, shooting sports and skill contests...will have some city folks/ungunners, music.

Our family tradition has always been to read the Declaration of Independence prior to eating...the 4th was my Dad's favorite holiday and he used to do the reading....he knew, felt and experienced the significance. He was moved and always moved us.

Anyway, either take this as a pleasantry, feel free to add your 4ths, but regardless, remember what those people did for us and be safe

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Taxation without representation...just like today.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

DC

>tradition has always been to read the Declaration of Independence prior to eating<

Aaaaaaa Great minds think alike!

With the way our Government has been moving over the last 50 or so years and some of the rumors on what is being planned for Y2K it might do all Americans well to reaquaint themselves with the Three Documents that are the beadstone of this government.

For those of you tht don't have a hard copy (shame on you!) here is some quick links.

<a href="http://www.mcs.net/~knautzr/fed/decindep.html">Declaration of Independence</a>

<a href="http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.overview.html">U. S. Constitution</a>

<a href="http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.table.html#amendments">Bill Of Rights</a>

This day, I charge all and sundry to not only read the above documents, but to sit and discuss the meaning of the three, with an eye on the present and furture of this country.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited July 04, 1999).]

Went to church this morning, something I don't get to do often because of my job at a hospital. Glad I got the chance today, though.

My Pastor is a very Godly and patriotic man. His service almost brought me to the verge of tears. Couldn't help it, I love this country so! Ever since I served our country in the Navy, I gained a greater appreciation of what so many have sacrificed to protect our liberty. I wish so many more could understand the price that was paid.

For all our service men and women, and to our veterans and our fallen, I thank you for your sacrifices and pray that your great efforts to secure liberty will ensure that this nation shall endure.

Saw "SAVING PRIVATE RYAN" for the first time last night on Pay per View cable. Think that will become a 4th of July tradition from now on.

From way down south here, a salute to all you Gringos Americanos :) May the Spirit of '76 live on ... regardless.

El Chimango Pete (aka El Gringo Peter Knight)

I may have made myself sound very anti-american in postings of hte last 6 months or so...

This needs to be clarified.
While the 4th is bitter-sweet to me - I hold it in much respect. In my own way. We celebrated - and will again tonight...

We read the Declaration of Independance out loud under what we have called the Liberty Tree (long story). After we read - we took our selves to a body of water - and threw in tea. (actually it was dried crushed leaves - cause we forget to get real tea.) We discussed American history while slurping water melon and getting very sticky. We (after getting the sticky off) did some shooting, grilled meats and ate like pigs... Then we shot off fireworks... It was glorious. Every one had a great time. Every one was proud to be an American.
As am I. I love my country. I would again serve this country should it come under the threat of anothers guns.
But.
We have come so far as a Nation... So far we can not see where or why we started...
Look at the D.of I. Almost ALL the sentances starting out "HE" and every thing our ancestors fought so hard for... We suffer today.
This is the bitter pill we have swallowed. The Government has absolute power - and as the saying grows - It has corrupted absolutly.

We are LONG overdue settling this... We need another Boston Tea Party - On a national scale... We need to refresh the tree of liberty. We need to go back to the basic Articles of Confederacy... And Start Over. Keeping the Constitution And the Bill of rights as the Blue Print for rebuilding. People who Cried out against the Stamp Act - would absolutly DIE seeing the taxes we carry today. I dont know anyone who pays less than 40 cents out of each dollar in taxes. If it is not stollen outright right from the paycheck - it is taken at the register, and at the gas pump... And more is taken each year at "Tax Time". We pay taxes when we buy a car - and every year we have to pay taxes on it again for "renewals."
Tht is such BS - we dont have to renew our plates - the record stays - They know who the car belongs to! Our homes - even when the morgage is paid off - is taxed. Every thing is taxed. Our LIVES are taxed to the CORE. We are enumerated from birth, and billed regularly. Dont get me started about my 10 week old boy getting a pre-approved Visa Card in the mail...

How much more can we tolerate? We get angry, we get worked up... We write posts here, and letters to editors, and letters to politicians and officials... We do, in our own little ways perhaps our own private civil-disobediance... But REALLY - what is it going to take to make the people rise up and say "Enough!" ?

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Think I upset the neighbors last night.

Came back from getting some takeout shortly after dusk. Neighbors were sitting on the front porch. They asked if was gonna sit out and watch the fireworks.

"Hell no," I said. "We didn't win our freedom from the Brits with Black Cats and sparklers. We won our freedom with THESE," and lifted the tail of my shirt, so they could see the butt of my S&W. "That's what Independence Day is about, not sitting around oohing and aahing at the pretty lights."

"Spoilsport," the missus said.

"Maybe so. But we as a country have totally lost sight of what the D of I meant, and I won't be a party to it."

With that, I went inside, ate my dinner, reread the D of I and the Constitution, then cleaned my guns while listening to the fireworks and wondering what George and Tom would think about how far we've fallen.

------------------
You can't get something for nothing,
You can't have freedom for free.
--Neil Peart

What Price Freedom?

Lest ye forget them that came before ye.
----------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army, another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War. They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor. What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners, men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire.The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart. Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.

Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wild eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more.

Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: "For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor."

They gave you and me a free and independent America. The history books never told you a lot of what happened in the Revolutionary War. We didn't just fight the British. We were British subjects at that time and we fought our own government! Some of us take these liberties so much for granted...

We shouldn't.

So, take a couple of minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid..............

Back