Engraving

Deacon

I realize this may well be an odd question, but. . .

I have recently inherited a Colt Officer's ACP from a much beloved uncle who died of cancer. It was far and away his favorite pistol and one I intend to keep in the family. Recently a non-shooter friend suggested I might consider having my Uncle's name engaraved on the weapon. I have to admit the idea had kinda grown on me and I have considered perhaps have his name and Vietnam unit (173rd ABN BDE, the "Sky Soldiers") engraved on the slide.

My question(s): Is such a thing doable without harm to the weapon? If so, how would I go about having it done? Is it a patently stupid idea?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------
"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example. . ." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I had my Mustang 380 engraved and the engraver told me the writing is much shallower than the factory logo and would have no impact to the functionality of the gun. However, he did advise me that engraving reduces the value of the firearm (unless it came from Factory). Also modern engraving experts may use a laser table (it is fairly costly and your engraver may not have the $).

Contact Rex C. Pedersen of the Firearms Engraving Guild at http://www.fega.com/

For a weapon you are going to keep, personalized engraving adds a very classy touch. Gold inlaid lettering looks very sharp.
No, engaving will not affect your pistols functioning.
Engraving can be quite afforable.

I was watching "Tales of the Gun" on the History channel last night and teh topic was about collectible guns and how the value of certain guns with particular workmanship (engraving) or notoriety (e.g. Hitler's PPK, J.W. Booth's derringer) were going thru the roof. As was pointed out earlier, the high value engraved guns were either done as factory commissions or by well known engravers, but I think putting your uncle's name and military affiliation would be a neat way to make the gun more of an heirloom and capture some of it's history. Whether it would add value, well, that's in the eye of the beholder, but it certainly won't hurt the functioning/durability, and it can be very classy. good luck, M2

Well, now that I am assured such engraving will not damage the weapon, I am pretty enthusiastic about getting it done - can anyone recommend any particular styles or types of engraving that would be neat?

Anybody want to reccomend a favorite engaver in North Carolina?

Thanks for all the imput!

------------------
"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example. . ." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

As I noted in another post, any good jewelry store can do that type of work. There is a list of firearms engravers in the back of the Gun Digest, and some advertise in shotgun news.

Personalizing with some info, as you want, will probably not hurt the value. Just intitials hurt, because John Doe doesn't want to carry around a gun with the intials RB. Of course, guns associated with famous (or infamous) people always bring high prices, engraved or not. And presentation guns are often the highest quality engraving. You can bet that nobody would have given a cheap jack engraving job to Hitler!

Jim

I'm not too concernced about the impact of the engraving on the weapon's value, as my hopes are to keep it around as a family piece. At this point I am mostly concerned with making sure I can find someone who will do a quality and tastefull job for a not too unreasonable price.

Engraving can be way cool as well.

I'm having a pair of synthetic ivory grips engraved with a wickedly cool woman/wolf mosaic for my hard chromed Colt Lightweight Commander by a fabulous scrimshaw artist.

Not exactly engraving, but close.

All of my friends think it's really cool and I absolutely love it.

------------------
- Anthony (the crazy Italian with a .41 Magnum)

"Civilized people are taught by logic, barbarians by necessity, communities by tradition, and the lesson is inculcated even in wild beasts by nature itself. They learn that they have to defend their own bodies and persons and lives from violence of any and every kind by all the means within their power."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Do it! I also suggest putting his unit's emblem on the gun too.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

bk40's advice is correct. Check the FEGA link and pursue that--that way you will be dealing with professionals who do quality work. I think you will find the cost reasonable for what is involved. I have had three guns engraved by a FEGA member: one full house 1911, one with 1/4 coverage, and one with name only. Obviously anything like you propose will personalize the gun which will not matter if it stays in the family anyway. To make it look right a refinish after engraving will probably be in order. If you are not in a hurry look at any and all engraved guns, photos or actual--preferably with a magnifying glass. There is some awfully bad work floating around out there with the good. The Meek book on engraving will give you some ideas if you can find a copy.

------------------

Since we're on the topic of engraving, would anybody recommend engraving on a Colt Single Action Army in .357 magnum ? The gun is a Third Generation gun, manufactured circa 1981, and I've been considering sending the gun to the Colt Custom Shop for engraving. The only thing holding me back is the possibility of diminishing the gun's value.

Don Leo: A couple of thoughts. Good--emphasis, good--engraving will just enhance the value of the gun. Whether to 'personalize' it with your name, initials, etc., is a moot point as it could affect future saleability. I chose not to. As to having the work done, I would check into the FEGA network in preference to Colt. I haven't seen much of the Custom Shop's work, but I have seen S&W factory work over they years and it has varied as to quality. My suspicion would be that you would pay absolutely top dollar at Colt for work that would be no better--and perhaps worse--than a topnotch independent. There are some very good people out there doing good work for a reasonable price, all things considered. Take your time and make sure of what you want...

------------------

Back