Engraved Star

I recently bought a factory engraved Spanish Star 22 pistol. It is nickle plated and close to 100% coverage with engraving. I have only found one refernce to this gun on the internet and it was a picture of one that sold at auction. Anyone ever seen one or know any details?

Well since chrome is clear they would have had to have been nickle plated first then chromed.

The normal way you get a chromed finish on something is to first plate with copper then nickel then the chrome clear coat for it's protection from oxidation and to harden the underlying layers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_plating

Chrome is not clear. It also does not have to be applied over nickel/copper, and you don't have to copper underplate to plate nickel on steel.
I do electroplating, and I collect Star pistols. What are your qualifications, other than Wikipedia, to make the assinine statement you made?

LOLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Wikipedia link doesn't even mention anything close to "clear" chroming. The closest I could find is reference to The Clean Water Act.:D:D (Hey! It's only one letter difference, right?)

OK, now, to be fair, at the very end of the Wikipedia article, it does talk about copper/nickel/chrome plating as an automotive use of chrome. No references are cited, so make of it what you will.

What I know about plating would fill a small (non-plated) thimble, so I will cheerfully defer to Bill.

I, too, would like to see a picture of the pistol. It sounds like quite a find!

It is factory engraved, Star apparently engraved several models/ I can't get the pics I have to upload but it is just like the one shown on this page.

Back