Engraved 1858 Remington .44 cal at Cabelas?

DavidB2

I am looking at getting an engraved 1858 Remington .44 with nickel plated trigger guard at my local Cabelas. It comes with an extra cylinder for $249.00. Seems like too great a deal to pass up. May have to do some gun trading to get it short notice. Is anyone familiar with this engraved Remmie? What is the engraved models durability? I wonder if it is suitable for N-SSA matches? Thanks for your feedback.

Cabela's

$299.88 + tax at mine, but they do have most of the BP pistols on sale now. And by the way, I was told that a price ending in 88 like that indicates a close-out item. Your particular store may very well have the ability to lower the price further to clear inventory. Negotiate !! It may not be there forever.

Last edited:
I own the engraved blued frame with nickel plated brass trigger guard remington 1858 from cabelas. Its a nice gun, I've owned it for 6 months, put around 175-200 rounds through it, the engraving is a little hard to keep clean, hot water or 10/1 water/ballistol mix with plenty of pure ballistol at the end seems to work pretty well for cleaning.
Something to take into consideration is that a extra cylinder is another thing to clean, it depends if that bothers you or not.
I dont do any matches, so I cant help you with that
Hope this helps you!

I agree, Bill....

I remember when some of the lower end manufacturers were doing what appeared to be roll engraving. C.O.M. comes to mind. It made a cheap pistol look even cheaper.

I work with lasers, they can easily cut through 1/2 steel. So I would not completely devalue that work. Roll engraving and lasers, not even close to the same.

Back