Engagement Gun ideas

Kvon2

So I'm planning on getting engaged early next year and my girlfriend said she plans on getting me an engagement Gun so start thinking about what she can get.

I need some ideas! I don't want it to be anything that will break the bank for her so probably $300 or less and since we're in MD a long gun is probably ideal(and my preference anyways).

I'm thinking about a Marlin 60 because I've always wanted one, she'll enjoy shooting it and our future children could learn on it as well. I do already have two other .22s though.

Any other suggestions or experiences with guns that you received as a gift?

There is NO other choice than a Desert Eagle 50 AE in the shiny gold finish. You will never want to shoot it and will always have the souvenir of your nuptials. I got a DE 50AE for my 50th birthday in the bright chrome from my bride of 28 years. Fifteen years later (and sans wife)- I still admire it sitting pristine, unfired and on the safe's top shelf.

Last edited:
I really enjoy my Marlin 60, no complaints at all. Like you said, the entire family will be able to enjoy it. Get a See-D-loader, a few bricks of rounds and a cheap (but reliable) Simmons scope. You will still be around $300.

I've had a Marlin 60 for years but recently bought another 22 semi-auto that is a blast to shoot. I bought a Mossburg Blaze 47 for $259.99. It's very accurate and looks very much like a real AK-47. I didn't need it at all but I'm glad I got it. One of the few advantages of being old (69) is being able to afford the toys you couldn't afford when you were young and nobody to tell you you can't buy them.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I am partial to Ruger 10/22 over the Marlin 60 but both are for sure fun guns. If you get the Marlin you won't regret it. Sounds like you have some state restrictions to consider that may effect your choice. A low end 10/22 will cost a few dollars more. I have had red dots and reflex sights and prefer reflex to red dots for target acquisition on jack rabbits.

If you can, try shooting at hanging steel. If your girlfriend is like the young women in my family that will become one of their favorite things to do with a firearm.

Again Congratulations!

An engagement gun???

Could there be any other choice than a side-by-side double barrel shotgun???

Congratulations! I highly recommend marriage. It is a lot of work to do well, as all things that are worth it are! You'll get what you put into it.

Could there be any other choice than a side-by-side double barrel shotgun???
I like the side-by-side recommendation from Dale, lol.

There is NO other choice than a Desert Eagle 50 AE in the shiny gold finish. You will never want to shoot it and will always have the souvenir of your nuptials. I got a DE 50AE for my 50th birthday in the bright chrome from my bride of 28 years. Fifteen years later (and sans wife)- I still admire it sitting pristine, unfired and on the safe's top shelf.
Nothing sadder than losing your wife. Even an unfired gun isn't that sad. But I personally don't believe in having a gun you won't shoot, pretty or not :D

Since you mentioned a .22 LR rifle, I don't know if they are still made but a Winchester 190 might be worth looking into. Also a Ruger 1022 would be a good choice. Since you are thinking about a long gun how about something for home defense? I'm thinking of a Mossberg 500 with an 18" barrel.

I think I'd give the ruger American in .22 LR a try.

The Marlin 60 is great for a semi auto, though. I love mine.

I was planning on buying a 12 gauge pump before popping the question so that is likely out. I will admit the 10/22 is the king of the semi auto .22lr market and for good reason, I've never found them comfortable.

Gold desert eagle just isn't quite my style :D

Oh and I already have a SxS shotgun...but I wouldn't mind a coach gun or even one of those stoeger double defense SxS guns. Held one a few weeks ago and I've gotta admit I like them.

Nothing says 'I love you' like an AR-15 Assault Rifle with high-capacity magazines, bayonet lug, night vision capability, a full set of camo, and a lifetime subscription to 'Soldier of Fortune'.

Failing that, your Marlin or Glenfield .22 is a great idea.

Don't forget the ring, though !

Hey! I'm gonna show this to Jackie. Going on six months now and she still isn't convinced that the engagement gun was a real thing.

Not to steer you away from Marlin, which in my opinion had it right with the 336 before they were acquired by Freedom Group, but if you're looking for a semi-auto .22; then you can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22

I was thinking along the lines of a nice Bond Arms derringer with "Forever yours, baby" engraved on the barrel.:D

Back