Enfield stripper clips: .308 on .303?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan

I'm looking into purchasing my first bolt action centerfire rifle, and have narrowed it down to an Enfield "Jungle Carbine" conversion (shot one in .303 and loved it - beatiful rifle).

My question is will the .303 stripper clips hold and function properly with .308? I want to use strippers, but I haven't found a source for Enfield .308 clips - but I'd prefer the .308, as ammo is much more common and the .308 Enfield is newer, built with better steel. This gun's going to be a shooter.

Answers? Advice? Source for .308 clips?

Morgan,

I've not seen any 308 clips for the Enfield. The base of the .303 is larger than the .308win, so I doubt it will work. I would suggest that you consider making, or have made, an adapter that allows the standard M-14 5-rnd stripper clip to be used in the .303 stripper guide. This *may* be something as simple as metal or polymer shim material epoxyed into the opening and shaped with a needle file.

Since this effort appears to require some custom elbow grease to get the desired results, I'm going to repost your thread to The Smithy forum, so we can get appropriate focus on the issue.

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited November 03, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back