Enfield safety isues

BoogieMan

This is the No$ that I bought a few weeks back.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561161
I ordered a No 4 safety and installed it after a few tries. Here is the problem. When I close the bolt and turn on the safety the striker will drop and be caught by the safety. turning the safety off at that point leaves the striker in the half cocked position. Its almost as if the cocking piece on the bolt assembly is slightly to long. My No5 completely disables the striker and no issues. Only difference I see is the length of the cocking piece is about .010" longer on the No4. Am I making a novice mistake or should I be looking into this deeper? I have disassembled the entire bolt. Is it possible I have reassembled something incorrectly.

I'm going to move this one to the gunsmithing section. We have a new mod over there who is a smith, and who may know what's going on.

I imagine it's over a change in design between models. Did they offer a safety specifically for that model?

There are several on here who are into military rifles, more than I, and may know more about it. The above is my guess, and you'll probably have to find a safety that matches the model, or modify that one, which could make it dangerous, if not done correctly. Make sure what the problem is about, before taking action, or modifying anything.

The safeties of the No. 4 and No. 5 are functionally identical and interchangeable, though there may be a variation in appearance due to production changes.

I can't think of any reason why engaging the safety would cause the cocking piece to drop; in fact, the safety should cam the cocking piece back off the sear. That .01" should make no difference; that is not a critical tolerance.

Jim

This is the No$ that I bought a few weeks back.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561161
I ordered a No 4 safety and installed it after a few tries. Here is the problem. When I close the bolt and turn on the safety the striker will drop and be caught by the safety. turning the safety off at that point leaves the striker in the half cocked position. Its almost as if the cocking piece on the bolt assembly is slightly to long. My No5 completely disables the striker and no issues. Only difference I see is the length of the cocking piece is about .010" longer on the No4. Am I making a novice mistake or should I be looking into this deeper? I have disassembled the entire bolt. Is it possible I have reassembled something incorrectly.
Does the rifle still have the original 2-stage trigger? Or it has been converted to a single-stage with a light and crisp pull? The 2-stage has a lot of take-up in the first stage.

-TL

The rifle is unmolested. I bought the rifle for $100 with no safety in it. Thinking that there may have been an issue to begin with. It's actually my son's rifle and I don't have my hands on it anymore. I will have him bring it back when he visits.

I don't see how it is possible the safety makes the striker slip off the sear.

OK. Is the engagement between the cocking piece and sear positive? When the trigger is pulled, does the cocking piece actually go backwards slightly before going forward?

-TL

Edit: I could duplicate the same thing on my No. 4. Close bolt. Engage safety. Pull the trigger. Disengage the safety while trigger is pulled, and release the trigger as soon as the cocking piece clears the sear. The sear catches the cocking piece in the half cock notch. But I had to pull the trigger in a way to let the cocking piece slip pass the sear. It makes no sense if you could do it without pulling the trigger, and the fire control has not been modified.

Last edited:
The safety does not engage the half-cock notch and cannot be engaged when the rifle is at half cock. In other words, the half cock has nothing to do with the safety; you can use either one to make the rifle safe, but not both.

I also see no way the safety could disengage the sear; when the safety is on, the sear is out of the picture, and the trigger can be pulled freely.

Jim

Back