Enfield Receiver

az_imuth

Can anyone tell me which variety of Enfield receiver was used to make this trainer?

Thanks for any info provided!
QRyjqjY.jpg

Thanks for the response. When I purchased it, it was sold as a No2 Mk4, but it didn't seem to resemble any of those that I found on the internet.

Not a No 2, No 2 was the designation of .22 trainer rifles.

From what I can determine by reading on the internet, it is a SMLE Mk III*, the addition of the solid charger bridge over the receiver distinguishes it from the SMLE Mk II* which had a charger bridge that was open at the top.

FWIW, there should be a stamp on the wrist on the right side that tells you what the rifle is. Often there are so many stamps that it is hard to tell what it says.

The OP just hasn’t supplied enough information to definatively answer his question. Why do folks keep important information secret when they ask for help?

There should be a stamping on the metal ahead of the buttstock, though its often tough to read.

My guess would be the action is a No.4 (the WWII action) as no No.1 Mk III I've ever seen had a receiver mounted sight. The No. 4 does.

@Nimrod...no attempt here to keep any secrets from you. Just not very familiar with the enfields.

I do appreciate those who have offered help. The charger bridge does go all the way across the top of the receiver. The rifle is a .22 caliber trainer and has a .22 caliber barrel, not a lined barrel.

The stamp at the right wrist has been ground off and now only shows 'SHT .22' and 'IV' below that. The left wrist has 5 lines of markings as follows:

?02 W/S
RFI

Thanks again for any info!

mikejonestkd

Thanks! That looks identical to what I have. It still has the base and ears for the barrel sight, but the sight is no longer present. So, this would be a No.2 Mk.IV* rifle. What threw me was that I thought only the No.4's and up had provisions for a receiver sight. Learn something new every day.

Once again, I appreciate your help!

It is my understanding that a No.4, converted to a .22 trainer, becomes a No.2, and is usually remarked as such.

The action still began life as a No.4 (or a No.1 Mk III) until conversion to a .22 then after that, its a No.2 rifle...
]
If that's not correct, please do enlighten me..

Back