Enfield Number 4, Mk. 2 magazine question?

Recoil spring

I used to own a beat up Fazakerley, made Enfield Number 4, Mk. 2 British rifle made in 1948. Fun gun to shoot when surplus ammo was so cheap and available. I noticed that as I got to the 2nd to the last round sometimes it would stick and not come up for me to chamber the cartridge. Granted it was pretty beat, dings, little finish left.

Read Clifford Shore's autobiography, With British Snipers to The Reich, and he mentioned that they had the same problem too back in WW 2. I find it odd that this problem happened as it could get a soldier killed, anyone know just how rare this condition happened? The later Enfields were so common at the gun shows in the 90's, etc.

Have you adjusted the feed lips? I had the same problem on my No4 mk1* when I first got it, but now that the magazine has been adjusted it feeds every round just fine. On an enfield, each magazine needs to be adjusted for the individual rifle it goes with, so if that has not been taken care of, or if someone has tried to insert the magazine into the rifle while loaded, your magazine may be in need of adjustment.

Did not know on the lips.

Thanks for the input, I did not know on the lips at the time, but it did occur to me to replace the entire assembly, as with semi-auto pistols, the magazine can make a difference in proper function. It had a matching serial number so I just left it alone.

I think I only had the gun for 2-3 years before selling it. I wanted an SMLE in good condition but all the ones at the gun shows were just beat and dark. Never had another Enfield, although I think it was around 1990 when a batch of un-issued Number 4's came in, just brand new. But they were expensive for a guy just out of college to buy.

Mine would occasionally need a tweak of the magazine. I would have to bend the feeds lips now and then.

One day I was observing it feed while slowly operating it. It seemed like the
Magazine was too wide and causing it to not quite feed properly.
I took the magazine out and squeezed it in a vice between two boards to kinda narrow it up. Never had a problem with it again.

No. 4 mags were individual to the rifle, just like No. 1 mags. As in fed via charger clips.
English made rifles were made when bad people were dropping bombs on 'em. Not to mention any mag used now has been passed around or left sitting in a box for 70 plus years. Mag lips do tend to get bent a tick from that.
A last round stick issue is probably about burrs or a slightly bent or tired mag spring. Said springs do not lose temper from being compressed but can get work hardened at the bends.
Never heard of any issues from the actual guys who used 'em I've known over the years. Never had any issues with No. 4 Rifle mags while running CF ranges either.
A matching serial number only means the bolt is original to the rifle. It does not mean the bolt head is the first one.
And a No. 4 is not an SMLE.

Back