Enfield Musketoon usage in the Civil War?

DavidB2

I recently purchased an Enfield Musketoon. I am curious about their usage in combat in the Civil War. I understand that they were used most often by Calvary units; especially Conferate Calvary. Also, they were used by artillery units. I would appreciate any specific information that cites their usage in actual combat. Thanks for any info and/or links to information.

As far as "Artillery use" . . . during the Civil War, most of the artillerymen did not carry firearms other than perhaps the officers and "some" non-commissioned officers. The job of an artilleryman was to "serve the piece" at all times. Those serving the piece were familiar with the job of each man so that if wounded or killed, they could step in, sometimes having to do the job of several men, in order to keep the piece in operation. Think about it . . . with the enemy advancing on the ranks of the opposition (whether it be North or South), if artillerymen were armed, they would be prone to stop "working the piece" and resort to their personal weapons to defend themselves . . . thus, the artillery piece would fall silent . . . and thus no canister delivered into the ranks of the opposition.

Most Northern artillerymen were supplied with artillery sabers . . . which were quickly abandoned by many along side the road as what real use did they have for them? Again, their job was to "serve the piece" and keep it in action in support of their own army.

There were times when the Corn-feds issued rifles to its artillerymen. Most of the time however they were expected to serve their pieces.

Field artillerymen usually didn't need individual weapons, but garrison/fort artillerymen were issued weapons so they could help the infantry if the fort was under attack and the guns were either out of action or made useless by the situation.

Jim

Conf. Gen. Armistead Long of Bradley Johnston's Division, Ewell's II Corps, procured enough rifles to equip two battalions to defend their guns and their camp.

Back