Enfield Barrel Removal, Help

E. BeauBeaux

Need to set the barrel back on Enfield #4. It has the higest # bolt head on it now so I want to set it back one turn. Problem, this thing is on tight. Any tricks others have used would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and help.

Try soaking the action and threaded part of the barrel in "Kroil" for about one week. Enfield barrels are put on real tight. The ones I have taken off did not need to be saved so I took a necking cut just behind the reciever.
You can get Kroil at Brownells (www.brownells.com). Good luck, they are a *itch to remove. John K

E, assuming you are using a Brownells action wrench with the Enfield insert, after soaking in Kroil as suggested tighten the wrench, make sure the barrel vice is tight (I would even add a lead shim to each side and use plenty of rosin) and smack the wrench with a small sledge. Often times a quick violent smack will accomplish what slow steady pressure will not. George

Thanks for the tip's I'll order the Kroil from Brownell's and let it soak as I'm not in a big rush. Didn't know what to soak it in. Thank's again. Eddie

Back