Ended up buying Ruger Blackhawk

rblack

I went back to the gun store today and looked at the Cimmaron again. I decided to go check out a couple of the smaller shops and found a NIB Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt in stainless with the 5 1/2" barrel for $ 350. I decided I just had to have this one, so for now the Cimmaron purchase will have to be put on hold. I do already have a Bisley Vaquero in 45 colt, so I guess I needed the Blackhawk because of the adjustable sights, and I just really wanted it.
I'll try to shoot it this weekend and report back.
Thanks for all the replies on Cimmaron thread.

The Blackhawk is about the best thing going for the money and you can load those Ruger .45's waaay past .44 mag levels if you're so inclined, but for the traditonal look & feel, that Cimmaron can't be beat! Either one is sure to put a smile on your face.

A good choice. You've got a practically indestructible, all-steel revolver made by a US company that gives good customer service; and at a good price.
It's not something to worry excessively about, but some Ruger .45's in the recent past have come through with undersized chamber mouths. These degrade the accuracy in some cases and with some loads. If yours is one of these, it's an inexpensive thing to fix. If your local 'smith hasn't a reamer, Hamilton Bowen does a quality job. You want your bullet-chamber mouth-forcing cone-barrel progressively smaller, from (usually) about .454 to .451. You don't want a bullet that has been swaged down to less than .450 entering the forcing cone and being bumped back up to .451-.452.
My blued convertible is a 1976 era gun, has correctly sized chamber mouths and has had the forcing cone reamed. It consistently shoots handloads into sub-2" 25-yard groups. Yours should do as well.
Good luck with your new revolver. You'll find it just gets slicker and better-shooting as the years go by.

rblack,

You have very good taste in guns! :)

I have the same model Blackhawk, but have added Pachmayr Presentation grips for more shooting comfort. Like most 45 Colts, it's a joy to shoot.

Bill

My .45 Colt Blackhawk with a set of Eagle stag grips is my constant companion when i am camping or in a wilderness setting. i carry it crossdraw in a camo ballistic nylon holster with a leather thong tie down that fits over the hammer. plinking or hunting its a hoot to shoot and fun to boot.
enjoy
3dflagsdotcom_usa2bl.gif

Riddleofsteel: Could you tell me if those Eagle Grips required any sort of "fitting"? I've considered the same grips for my blackhawk. Also, how do they measure-up as far as durability? Thanks.

most Eagle grips require some fitting. i bought mine before stag became a rare item and as a result i gave about 1/2 of the price they go for now. i had to do some minor flat sanding and adjust the roll pin hole some. if you do not fell comfortable doing this Eagle will fit them for a small fee. stag is a very durable grip as long as you don't abuse them. they have many of the same characteristics as bone or ivory. mine are aging well and have started to take on a yellowish cast i really like.

Back