End plates and castle nuts

Tool

It seems that they will cost me around $40. I'm surprised to see how expensive they are. Is it worthwhile to spend so much money on these parts?

You can spend a lot of money shopping for individual parts.
You can go to your local hardware store and spend $1.20 for a single 1/4-20 cap screw but you can probably get a box of 100 for $10.

Somebody has to receive,stock, pick,and pack those individual parts . Min Wage makes that costly.

The suggestion to get a buffer tube,spring,nut plate,etc kit is good.

Shop around. Try Primary Arms,Rock River, Aero, etc.

Get an armorer wrench/tool or a castle nut spanner.Pipe wrenches are not recommended.

All the parts i listed were aero precision, imho a quality brand. You can get way cheaper if you use midways ar stoner brand, i think a full kit is on sale right now for $25. Just make sure you look at the aluminum type for the buffer tube itself. 7075 t6 is what your looking for.

Cheaper kits like this one from Midway use 6061 (6000 series) aluminum, or don't even list the aluminum type. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003295219

Personally i use 7075, but depending on who you ask 6061 is just fine for a buffer tube too. If you want "premium" just make sure its 7075. The rest is all marketing imho.

Ar stoner does make a premium version its their "extreme duty"line. Its only a few bucks cheaper than the aero product. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101811299 if you read the description it says they use 7075 t6 aluminum which has a 84% increase in tensile strength over 6061.

Last edited:
Yes, you can go "cheap" on these components and it won't affect performance. A few AR quality parts are important....barrel, trigger, extractor, flat buffer spring, etc. The rest are pretty interchangeable, cost nonewithstanding.

Remember each parts purpose. How does that purpose drive your end goal? The main purpose of the end plate is to hold the stake to lock the nut. If they mate up and the material flows into the nut’s notch, you are good.

The next thought is do you want the end plate to hold a sling? Or something else? Then that adds another purpose that may warrant a few dollars more…

Back