End of muzzle or crown?

deepforks

so I've got a little debate with some buddies on where the last point a bullet touches a barrel. I'm saying its just the 'end of the bore'. they say its the 'crown' of the barrel. I say the bullet does not actually make contact with crown, the crown is just the transition point from the inside muzzle face to the outside of the barrel. I know we're talking about the exact same place, but we're calling it two different things. who's correct? or, are we all wrong, and if so, what would that point really be called? I know we're splitting hairs, but it's winter and there's nothing else to do. lol!!

I'm with you. The crown is a finishing technique, used to give the bore/grooves and nice crisp edge. So, the last thing the bullet should touch should be the lands (unless you have something crazy, and it touches the bottom of the grooves last).

If your bullets are contacting the crown, there's a serious problem to be dealt with....

Crowning achievement....

Take a bullet and insert in in the muzzle. The point the barrel stops it is the last point a bullet on the way out touches.

"Crown" is a term referring to some kind of finish work to the muzzle. It might be applied to the very end of the bore, but in use today, it refers to the way the muzzle is finished to protect the rifling.

A barrel can be finished with the muzzle perfectly flat and square. However, with the rifling fully flush with the end of the barrel it is more at risk of being damaged. So, the barrel is "crowned", the bore recessed a little bit from the end of the barrel.

Technically, no matter what you call it, the last point a bullet touches as it is fired is the last point in the barrel that is bullet diameter (groove) or less (land).

You may be referring to the end of the bore, they may be referring to the end of the barrel, both using the term "crown". I think crown is referring to how the end of the barrel is finished, to protect the end of the rifling, but that's just the way I use the term.

you might contact a barrel maker, and ask them what terms they use, for which spot.

The "muzzle" is the end of the barrel from which a projectile exits.

The "crown" is the transition area of a rifled bore at the muzzle, where the projectile transits from being fully-engaged with the rifling, to thin air.

In common usage, many use the terms interchangeably, like "magazine" & "clip", regardless of the incorrectness.

Some 'smiths call the part of the muzzle where its outside diameter goes down to the hole the "face." It can be flat or with a slightely recessed angle. "Facing" a match grade barrel to 11 degrees is popular.

At the bore, it's angled back at about 40 to 50 degrees out form bore diameter to a few thousandths past groove diameter; this is sometimes called the "crown." With a 45 degree crown of this type, the bullet's last contact with the barrel is typically at or near the barrel's groove diameter,

It may be somewhere else depending on the bullet's heel shape and dimensions going from the bullet's full diameter rounding to its base or boattail. One would have to gently push a bullet backwards into the muzzle a few thousandths inch and see where the barrel marked it to determine where the last part of it contacted the barrel.

Last edited:
...so I've got a little debate with some buddies on where the last point a bullet touches a barrel.

I said 'lands' before...and I see, but I might be mistaken, that the last physical contact of the barrel twist that the bullet can touch is the 'land'.

109709d1373499661-true-understanding-calibre-barrel-rifling-pictures.jpg

105mm_tank_gun_Rifling.jpg

Back