encouraging knowledgeable and trained CCW'ers

BAB

Okay, I would like some input here.

First off, let me say that I don't want this to turn into a discussion about how CCW permits are unConstitutional and how we don't need permission to exercise a right. We all, on this forum, know that. But for now, only Vermont agrees with us. As for the other states, we have to take it one step at a time.

I was thinking about people with CCWs and training. I think we all agree that *government-mandated* training is a dangerous road to go down as it's open to abuse in many ways, and is just wrong. But then again, I think we also agree that anyone who decides to take on the enormous responsibility that comes with carrying a firearm should be knowledgeable and well-versed on many things, including use of the weapon(s), the laws involved with carrying and use of deadly force, how to react to and deal with dangerous situations, awareness, etc. Generally, such knowledge and awareness comes about best through training of some sort.

Now, most states with shall-issue laws on the books require some sort of mandated training, I think. Some don't, like Indiana, for one. For those states that require government-mandated training, how do we convince the powers-that-be that forced training is not the way to go, that CCW'ers would get their own? And then, how do we get the CCW'ers to go and get training and to acquire the proper knowledge? And in states that require no training, how do we encourage it as the responsible thing to do?

One idea I had is based on the fact that people generally respond to incentives. What could states offer? Maybe for proof of knowledge/training, states could offer a cut in the CCW fee? Or maybe less restrictions on where one can carry? Certificates for free range time at a public range? What else?

Please give any ideas/feedback. This concept is unrefined at the moment. I just thought of it after reading that thread concerning the road rage incident in Alabama...apparently the shooter had a permit, but obviously not enough responsibility/training to act properly. Such incidents are exactly what the antis need to combat our efforts for CCW for all law-abiding people. These incidents are tragic, but, for the most part, preventable. I think training is the key (or at least one of them!).

I hope this all makes sense. I'm thinking/typing while working, so bear with me. Also, if you feel I'm way off base, let me know! :)

Thanks all!

What a can of worms you have opened! Texas does require 10 hours of "training". I think that's good. Actually I had a few folks in my class that I felt should have had at least double that amount. It was obvious that they had rarely (if ever) fired a gun. This situation is a potenitial for some bad news. I would not object to more training but then we have the problem of the government's involvement - always bad news. It seems to me that the legislators are balancing between leaving the training up to the individual and some folks just not giving a damn and maybe getting no training at all. The most common solution is to require the training for issuance of lisense. I don't like the government's involvement in just about anything but I have to support the idea of mandatory training. Maybe there could be more options as to what type of training a "student" could take, all with minimum requirements.

Part of me would like to have the instructors retain the ability to refuse signature on some people if they felt they were not proficient/comfortable enough to carry a weapon. This would be a very difficult thing to qualify however and would also require an appeals process - "your just denying me because I'm <insert ethnic slang here>", bla bla bla. I really would like to see it done this way. Make no mistake, I want as many folks out there with CW's as possible but there are the few that should not be able to do so without a much higher comfort level (read: more training). The problem with my idea is that the gubmint would not want to trust the judgement of an "instructor" to issue or deny. After all, they are Legislators and a hightly trained instructor is just, well, a peon in their mind. Leaving the final decision to the instructor would allow him/her to make individual assessment as to the student's progress and skill level.

I have no definitive answer for your questions, just spewing some thoughts. I welcome some additional comments.

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, NRA, LEAA and vote.

Thanks CMOS, for bringing up the method of requiring a training certificate as a prerequisite for issuing a permit...I had forgotten about that. Yes, many states do that, as opposed to mandating their own (most often uninformed) standards of qualification. I'm with you on this...I don't see much of a problem, so long as such courses that count for the permit are accessible and affordable to any who wish to take it. This is sometimes a problem.

I know what you mean too about seeing people who you just wish would, for the sake of all of us, go and get trained in a manner above and beyond what is required to get the permit. Perhaps incentives would work in this case?

Hmmm...

Back