Encore 270

Panman2

Inactive
Looking to see if any one has any info on the accuracy characteristics of the Encore in 270. I am headed out west for speed goats n have the Encore muzzleloader n love the trigger pull, so not looking to change riffles. But if need be.

Thanks

really ought to be accurate. i'm assuming it is a t/c pro hunter, so it should make about 3/4 - 1" at 100 yards. i have a encore that i have, two barrels and 1 muzzleloader. one is a 6.5 creedmoor with a mgm 16 1/4" barrel and a 20 vartarg with a 16 1/4" barrel. both go .3" at 100 yards. the forth barrel is going to be a mgm 20" integral muzzle brake in 444 marlin.

Encores are known for being acceptably accurate but require knowledge of the system for handloaders to get best results. No reason to expect a .270 would be any different than any other cartridge choice, on average. My 7-08 Pro Hunter handgun shoots 1" or less at 100. Obviously, you'll be needing to sight it in before you go so you'll know soon enough if it's acceptable.

Brian said it right - accuracy can be quite good but it can vary a lot from barrel to barrel and frame to frame. Because of the whole interchangability thing there is going to be more "wiggle room" on some frame/barrel combinations than on others. For that reason, you sometimes have to tweak them with oversized hinge pins, firing pin spacers, etc.

I'd jus pick up a TC Venture for around $400 as it will cost about as much as the barrel in the long run. I had a Venture .270 for a short time and it was a shooter. I bought it for $400 out the door, TC was giving a $50 mail in rebate so the rifle cost me $350. I put a 4-12X40 Revolution on top of it for $175. Sold it to a former coworker for $525 when I was done playing with it, and he loves it.

I just didn't need three rifles in .270 Win and that is why it went down the road. It shot cheap Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt about an 1.25" for five shots, and Federal Premium 130 grain TTSX loads well under 1" for five at 100 yards. Unless you get a smoking deal on the Encore barrel I'd just buy a whole new rifle.

I have an Encore with .204 Ruger and .300 AAC as well and would love a ML barrel for it, but the whole switch barrel novelty wore off really fast for me. My buddy from NY got me interested in them, but with his laws the Encore makes sense as he can have as many barrels as he wants without having to register them like he does a rifle or pistol. For me while CO has become a bit of a PITA it isn't anything like NY and I'll still pick up a new or used rifle in a common cartridge like the .270 Win. I usually don't purchase anything but a specialty or wildcat cartridge chambered barrel for an Encore and I traded for the .204.

I ahve a friend in Reno nevada that has an Encore in 270. He tells me it's super accurate and out shoots his Remington 700 and his Ruger 77, both also 270s.
I know this man very well, and I have shot and hunted with him many times. If he says it's a good rifle I'd believe him without question.

Tdoyka u said something that caught me off guard regarding prohunter. I have an older Encore and am being told that the prohunter barrel will fit my older Encore frame. Anyone have anything different?

Just want to get it right the 1st time.

Thanks so much for all your help!

All the encore barrels are a bit hit or miss. You get some that are real tack drivers and some that are dogs. Many times, making an Encore shoot is much more involved than just swapping a barrel. Often you have to do fit work. Its common for the headspace to be not quite right.

Panman, let me tell you the ONLY differences between a regular encore and a Pro Hunter.

1. On the frame, the Pro Hunter comes with the swing hammer. This is kind of a muddy point because they are starting to ship some regular Encores with the swing hammer.

2. Pro Hunter comes with that fancy recoil reducing stock and different forearm.

3. Pro Hunter comes with longer (and usually fluted) barrels.

That is it. All parts on the Pro Hunter and regular Encore are completely interchangable.

Oh yea, one more important difference - the price. If you don't need all that extra "fluff" then get the regular Encore. Personally, I don't want any barrel longer than 24".

Back