Emails Do No Good, So Fax For Free!!!

nralife

OK sports fans, I think it is obvious that our elected officials pay little or no attention to our emails. I have always believed that a hand written letter is the best form of communication to get a legislators attention. Next would come a fax. Then a phone call and finally an email.

Well, we don't always have time in the crunch to send a letter by snail mail, so most of us send emails or call when we need to.

Calling is fine, but now you can send a fax without having a fax machine. This may be old news to some, but I was glad to find this site where you can send a fax online.

Having a letter in hand gets our elected officials attention more than any email ever could. Them having to hear that fax machine running all of the time and having to keep it full of paper sends a more powerful statement than the easily deleted email.

Click on this link and register to send free faxes. You will be glad you did.
http://www.fax4free.com

Joe

<A HREF="http://www.netbabbler.com/goto/index.php3?forumid=12204">
Joe's Second Amendment Message Board</A>

I'm glad I did, thanks for the link, Joe. Thousands, if not millions, of emails take up no more space than a floppy disk at my reps office. Easy to ignore.

But thousands of pieces of actual paper have to be stepped around! I relish the thought of a congressperson's office being buried under letters! :D

-boing

This is great. Not only are e-mail messages less effective, they are easy to filter. The only way to filter a fax is to drop it in the trash. Then if you call to verify that it was received, someone has to admit that it got lost. (Although in D.C., this is still easy to do!)

The next thing that we need is a list of the fax numbers. I have a very good list for state and federal e-mail addresses, but not very many fax numbers. Where can we go to find them?

4V50 Gary,

I believe I already said a hand written letter is better, but what if you don't have time? A fax is a heck of a lot better than an email.

------------------------
I will work on getting all of the fax numbers together when I have time. Maybe DC can help us out with this.

Joe

Be advised that many networks have fax services, enabling someone to receive faxes as email attachments (we do that here). However, the fax files come across as graphics and are a little harder to deal with than regular email- they can take up a lot of disk space. Just an FYI.

ckurts,

What are you trying to say?

Are you saying this service sends their faxes by email? What would be the point of a fax if it went by email? I don't think you have to have an email addy to send a fax with this service.

I'm a little slow sometimes.

Help me out here.

Joe
---------------------------------------------
Ok I get it now. You are saying certain legislators may have a fax service instead of an actual fax machine. I still think a fax is better than an email.

Joe

[This message has been edited by nralife (edited August 10, 1999).]

nralife: Yeah, that's pretty much it. Check your email for the long explanation. Sorry, I sometimes forget not everybody's a paid propellerhead like me!

So...what's the scoop? Will users of this service be sending actual paper faxes, or just e-mail attachments?

Does it depend on what the recipient has to receive the fax?

[This message has been edited by BAB (edited August 10, 1999).]

I guess it won't hurt to clarify for everybody what I was talking about. Like I told nralife in the email I sent him, my fault for making an assumption that everybody is a dufus propellerhead like me. A fax service in the sense that I was referring to would be available on your office's network (for all I know some, some Internet Service Providers may do the same thing). The sender just sends the fax to a phone number like always. The fax service, your network, and email software work together to get the fax as an attachment to an email. In our case here the email is addressed from our fax server computer and if you are lucky will contain some info about who sent the fax. You can read the fax and/or print it using the software provided. The fax attachments are just graphics so you can even read them with some graphics programs (with more or less hassle). The idea is you don't have to print them, it cuts down on paper, or if you have a printer in your office instead of down the hall you can get a little privacy.
I don't know the technical details, not really my line. I'm just an old UNIX software tech support guy who likes guns.

Somebody, I think Bo Gritz, said that the modern revolutionary's weapon of choice is the fax machine.I believe it.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

ckurts, thanks for the email and the explantion.

Ed, I couldn't agree more. Let's cause a shortage of fax paper in this country!

Joe

When I send my reps an E-mail, I do two things. I print out a copy and mail it to them, and I respectfully request an answer.
Works wonders. My reps ignored the hell out of me until I started doing it this way.Try it, you'll love it.
Paul B.

Anyone know the country code (I think that's what it's called) for the U.S.? Does one even need it if faxing internally in the U.S.?

Thanks!

BAB,

Our country code is "1". Like when you call 1-800-yadda. Sending a fax is just like making a voice call. Sometimes you have to include 1-area code, sometimes not.

------------------
A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil.
Vote Libertarian - For A Change.

I used to write tons of letters to our reps and would never get any responces.
Then I started sending emails I have got some replys mostly the standard BS letter.

Only one person took the time to send me a reply that wasn't. I wish I had the letter that I sent so I could post it here but I don't, but I do have the one that was sent to me

So here it is!
---------------------------------------------

I am deeply honored to serve as your representative in the United States
Congress. I take my responsibility very seriously and want you to know that
I conscientiously approach the tasks before me with the best interests of
Michigan's Third Congressional District in mind.

Mr. Demond, I want to thank you for your recent e-mail on gun control. It
was good to hear from you and gain a greater understanding of your thoughts
and concerns. I truly appreciate the time you took to let me know how you
feel.

During the 106th Congress, we will be addressing a full range of issues that
affect each of us as citizens of this great country. Because there are so
many issues and so many differing opinions, I am especially grateful to
receive your comments as they enable me to better represent the people of
the Third District of Michigan. Your role in our system of democracy is an
extremely vital one.

With warmest wishes, I am

Sincerely,
Vernon J. Ehlers
Member of Congress

Thank you, sir, and kudos on your insight into this being a most powerful tool when used en masse! I've signed up and forwarded the page to several pro-gun groups and about 100 plus pro-gun individuals. thanks again.

I have gotten replies to my emails as well. Here is one from Senator Rod Grams of Minnesota:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the "Citizen's Self-Defense Act of 1999" on January 19, 1999. This legislation would protect the right to obtain firearms for self defense.

Like you, I believe the freedom to keep and bear arms is one the Founding Fathers wanted to apply to all citizens equally. A recent example of the intent of the Constitution to grant individual rights rather than collective rights is the decision the Supreme Court made in Adarand v. Pena. In announcing the Court's decision, Justice O'Connor noted, "We have long held that equal protection of the law is a personal right, not a group right."

While I support the Second Amendment right to possess a firearm, I also believe we have the responsibility to hold those who abuse this right accountable for their behavior. Our local authorities can reform our criminal justice system by instituting swift and certain sentencing, and mandatory uniform penalties for those crimes involving a firearm. I have never believed something or someone other then the criminal is to blame when a crime is committed.

The "Citizen's Self-Defense Act of 1999" was referred to the House Subcommittee on Crime where it awaits further action. While currently there is no similar legislation in the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind if such legislation is introduced.

You can count on my continued work on behalf of our Second Amendment freedoms. Should you have any additional comments or questions please feel free to contact me again.

Sincerely,

Rod Grams
United States Senator

Back