Elk round help (Swift A Frame or Core Lokt Ultra bonded)

Big Dave

Hi Guys,

I don't have many selections in 180 grain 30-06 ammo where I live. I have located these two and was wondering if one of them is a clear winner for elk?

180 Remington Core Lokt Ultra bonded
180 Swift A Frame

Thanks a lot.
Dave

.30-06 and ANY 180 grain hunting bullet is a good combination for elk in my opinion. I don't think you can go wrong with either bullet you choose, just use the one that gives you the most accuracy. I've killed elk with old 180 grain Winchester Power Points and wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

Not to muddy your waters, but I've put down elk with a 30-06 and 165 gr bullets. That might open up more choices for you.
I've never shot the two that you mention, so I can't actually make an informed decision between your choices.
I've shot HSM sp 165 gr. and 165 gr. nosler ballistic tips (too light of a bullet in my opinion, but it did put down a cow at short range). I've switched to tipped tsx 168 grain cartridges, but haven't taken those into the field yet.

Any interlock or partition-style bullet should hold together well enough to get the job done. Find one that shoots in your rifle, then go to it.

Good luck.

Bullet construction matters every bit as much as weight, I would wager a 150gr TSX would drive deeper then a 180gr Power Point or Core-Lokt.

Thanks guys,

The Swift A Frame run about $75 for a box of 20 and the other Core Lokt are in the $50 range. If one was better I figured I'd start with that and save some dough.

Any thoughts on 180gr Remington Scirocco or 150gr Barnes VorTx. I have a box of the VorTx on hand but it seems like a wild card...

Thanks,
Dave

Any will work just shoot the most accurate stuff. However, when I step down to 165 grains or less I prefer a premium bonded or mono metal bullets. 180's you can use the cheapest cup and core bullet and still get the job done.

I'd want a premium bonded bullet heavy for caliber. I think he is right to be looking at the 180's and right to be looking for bonded bullets. Are you going on your hunt this weekend or something? Buy online, so what if you cant find it locally.

EDIT: I see you are in HI, I get why online would suck for you.

Every round you list should get the job done if you do your part. I've been using Barnes bullets for the past decade and have nothing but good to say about them. Because the are a hollow point solids and retain so much weight using 150 grain bullets should be fine. Since you have those on hand you might make sure they shoot well from your rifle and use them.

I agree that any 165gr or 180gr with good terminal ballistics is just fine. A friend of mine has taken elk the last 3 years with 150gr bullets.

Swift makes good hunting bullets. As for the scirocco ii, it has better expansion, but less weight retention than the a-frames. I would stick to the a-frames if you already have them.

That Barnes Vortex is great stuff and I wouldn't hesitate at all to use it. The Barnes is famous for deep penetration and 100% weight retention. I'm amazed at the prices you're quoting: I have Core lokts here for 2
$24/box. Man! That's high.

Hi, the prices are higher on everything. That just the way it goes being on an isolated island...

But, the price I quoted was for the Premium / Bonded Corelokt rounds....not the standard issue.
Take care,
Dave

My dad shoots regular green box Remington core lokt ammo in 180 grain for deer, elk, you name it out of his 30-06. Never seen him use anything else and the animals are plenty dead.

Back