Elk Hunting and Range Finders

Turk

I'm considering a Leica 800 range finder but from discussions and from posts here on TFL it seems most shots are under a 200 yards. I'm pretty good estimating distances for white tails but haven't seen elk in the wild to know the size to distance ratio?

So here's three questions?

Is the range finder a necessary tool for a elk hunt.

I can get a Leica 800 for $339.95 good price?

Is there any PC software that would helpful in estimating distances for different game.

Thanks,

Turk

A couple of years ago, I bought a Bushnell 800, for about $75 less. It checks out against known map distances. But, whatever...

One thing I can tell you about Th' West: Stuff can be farther off than it looks, sometimes. Other times, what looks like it's Way Over Yonder, ain't. If you're not used to the size of the mountains, they're real deceptive.

Some of it is the dry air, which is clearer and makes stuff look closer.

An elk is a cow-height critter; longer legs and less body, but just as tall. If that helps...

Go stare at cows, I guess. Make a cardboard cut out of an elk and set it here and there around your neighborhood. :)

I guess the value of a rangefinder is that it can keep you from taking too long a shot. I've always guesstimated, "One football field; or, two football fields; or, three football fields; or, OH BLEEP!"

Art

Leica LRF800 at $339 new very good price. List is $449.

Rangefinder good for fine tunin your ocular estimations.
Estimate distance to something, then check with rangefinder.

Easier than estimatin, then pacing it off.

Stare at a lot of cows tho. Time you get a reading on a critter, often he not still there.

Sam

Turk,

Sight in your rifle 3 inches high at 100 yards. If you are shooting any "standard cartridge" (ie .270, .30-06, 7mm mag) it will be about 4 inches high at 200 yards, and pretty much around zero at 300. What this does is allow you to sight in on the about 8 to 12 inch vital zone of an elk, and not have to worry about bullet drop out to around 350 yards. Remember that this is bench type shooting.

I've got a Bushnell rangefinder, and I use it like CR Sam said - scouting I make a call how far the critter is - then verify with rangefinder. I used it Saturday to after setting up some paper plate targets down in and across a draw, and then shooting (offhand, sitting and prone) to check distances after shots (results mixed - mostly good).

As to actually using the range finder during elk hunting - well I don't. Two reasons. If you are sitting at the edge of a meadow, yes you can use the range finder to figure out how far it is to some feature that an elk beast might walk out by - but if you sighted in like above you can pretty much figure if that is within 300 yards or so without the finder. So you are just verifying what you already know. Second reason is the much more common situation. You see the elk, and things begin to happen real fast. You may have to move to get a clear shot or the elk is already moving, or both. Shot over a hundred yards? You better get in some sort of braced shooting position. You're at 10,000 feet - air is thin - you are out of breath. Now exactly when do you use the rangefinder? The elk ain't gonna hang around till you get set up. This is not bench shooting - you have to make a good shot on that 8 to 12 inch area - right now!

Bottom line - spend the money on a good set of binoculars. If you can see the elk without it seeing you, you can stalk in to a good shot. Binoculars are essential to western hunting, range finder is a nice to have.

JohnDog - Is it October 19 th yet?

"Is the range finder a necessary tool for a elk hunt?"

No.

I can't help you with the others.

"Go stare at cows, I guess. "

Just, please, do not shoot the cows. Or horses, like someone seems to do at least once a season.

Back