elk caliber

Good question. It depends. Considering a worst case scenario, I'd go with my .35 Whelan. My .338 mag. would arond somewhere as a back up.
Come to think of it, that's what I use anyway. :D
Paul B.

That I would use by choice. A 300 or 338 for centerfire rifle if your talking trophy/large elk under normal hunting. If I "knew" it would be under 150 yards then a 45-70 in a Ruger No.1 or TC Encore Rifle loaded to +P levels.

For cow or spike 6.5x55 with handloaded 140 noslers.

The smallest under 150 yard elk caliber that I would use?

The .270 Winchester, regardless of the elk. (They aren't quite as hearty as many writers would have you believe.)

A number of years ago, in Montana, I killed a nice spike elk at about 175/185 yards, with my .280 Rem., using my handloads, 160 gr. Nosler Partition, and 54 grs IMR4350. One round as he was standing and feeding, broadside, across a meadow.

Normally I use a .338, but the .280 is always in camp as a backup, should I need it. I wouldn't hesitate to use my .280.

J.B.

So is everyone agreeing that .308 is borderline/too small for elk? I know a few hunters who use .308. I guess its like .30-30 for deer?

Plently have elk have fallen to the .270 Winchester; but I'm not sure if this is "inferior" to .308 or not. I just put in for elk for the very first time this year, and I am considering carrying my Remington 700 BDL in this caliber. I think the terrain will not require the "flatness" of the .270, so I'd go with the bigger bullet this time out.

"So is everyone agreeing that .308 is borderline/too small for elk?"

No. The .308 is a fine elk cartridge. It lags just behind the venerable .30-06, after all... Granted you cannot take 1000 yard pot shots, but that's why it is called "hunting" and not "shooting."

Back