Electronic Lock for Gun Safe?

HKguy9

I would prefer an electronic keypad lock for my gunsafe. Is there anything wrong with them (failure after nuclear EMP shockwave, dead batteries, not water resistant, etc) that I should know about?

Excellent question, was wondering about the same thing. There was an electronic lock made by the GunnGard people which did not require a battery (saw it on their website and American Shooter). A keypad was used and the dial below was actually the power source, a couple of spins and the lock was jucied up ready to be used. Beyond that, I don't know if it was any good or could be installed in any ol' safe.

This topic is similar to AR15 or AK47, 1911 or Glock..... as far as opinions go.

I have an electronic S&G on my safe for over a year now with no problems. The lock holds 2 9V batteries for redundacy and it also triggers an alarm when the charge is low. I change the batteries when I change the smoke alarms. The batteries are still good and I just transfer them to the TV remotes. In the event the batteries run out because you forgot to change them and left home for a couple of years - the lock is suppose to retain the last combo and will function when a new set of batteries is installed. I have removed the batteries for a 24 hour period and reinstalled without any problems.

I doubt water would have much affect on the electronics since it runs on such low voltage. Just take the lock off and dry it out. I have drenched many a keyboard and remote with coke, water, etc. and have been able to make all of them work after they were cleaned and dried out. Salt water may be a different story but if the floods are coming I should have time to grabs the guns.

I haven't tested the EMP effect but you could surround the safe with tinfoil :D.

Overall, it looks and sounds cool and it beats fumbling with a manual lock. Go get it, you will be glad you did.

A few of the digital keypad locks out there have a backup key for manual access in the event something like the batteries go dead and you don't have any replacements(most have a small battery backup for remembering the code that will hold it for months even without the batteries that actually unlock the safe).

The key is also there in the event that some crook tries to break into the safe and in the process they rip the digital pad/panel off the front of the safe. Just get the keys to some very good out of the way place for storage where they aren't likely to be found.

I have mechanical locks on all my safes. Do not trust neon/xeon, laser/phaser electronic Nev-R-Fourgit locks. Of course, I still use carrier pigeons for letters.:D

Take your pick:

1) Four dials to the left to the first number, three dials to the right to the second number, two dials to the left to the third number, one dial to the right to the last number, OOPS, screwed up a number somewhere. Again, four dials to the left .... (I got tired from just typing this)

OR

2) Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep - ROCK 'N ROLL !

The answer is obvious.

Skunkabilly,

Have a Cabella's fireproof safe with an electronic lock. What the others said. Beep's when the charge is low and if someone tries to rip off the front panel they will get no where fast.
I have found that even though the pad is not lit, I can usually get the six digit code by "feel"*.
Very useful and I have no worries that someone is going to "break the code" any easier than with a mechanical lock. Does help that the safe weighs @500 lbs. and is against the wall.
Looks great and cost me @$800.00
By the way you brought up "EMP" effects? I was wondering this as well. Properly grounded wouldn't a safe act as a "Faraday Cage"?
I also believe the EMP pulse directly impacts the flow of electrons. If the device has no charge going to it I do not think that an EMP pulse would have any effect. THough I do understand that during testing in the 50's and 60's television tubes would "glow" even when off when exposed to the wide range of electromagnetic energy released.
Me? I keep a few of my more delicate items in the safe and keep some spare batteries throughout the house.
If the Martians invaded and I needed to protect the safe I would either remove the batteries or more than likely keep the safe open. Assuming of course it was open season on the Martians.:D

Jon

*No superpowers here, just as easy as the "touch-pad" bed side handgun safes they sell.

NO. Proper grounding won't protect you from EMP. No. It won't create a Faraday cage. If it were that simple, then it would not be a real military concern, but unfortunately it is not that simple and is a real concern.

Of course, if you are located where there is an EMP as produced by a nuclear blast, you can try punching in your code while your hair is falling out of your head. It won't matter. You will be dead soon anyway.

Back