Electronic Hearing Protecton

ddp

Inactive
What are the recomendations of this forum? I have been looking at various hearing protection for at the range. As I am a little (mostly leftside) hard of hearing I figure I do not need to finish it off with practice gun fire..
Anyway, seems from what I have learned the Peltor 6 or 7 seem very very popular. What are the opinions of these two models of Peltor muffs? Any better or other sugestions?
If anyone has actually used these two ;et me know as from what I see the Peltor 7 has a few more bells and whisles but is also about 1/2 as much in weight and alittle more $$$ wonder if it is worth it? The & over the 6 has also inout for say persoanl radio audio etc/
Any comments/suggestion or even what specs I need to look at please let me know

thanks

Take the time to read the following thread:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92303

The gist is that electronic hearing protection for shooting is not electronic. The electronic aspect is the ampiflication of outside noise into the muffs. The hearing protection is passive.

Between Peltor 6 & 7, I would say you need to get the 7s because they offer a significantly greater amount of protection. Plus, double plugging is a really good idea as well, whether you get electronic muffs or not.

I have since purchased Peltor ComTacs and double plug with them. I am happy with the purchase, but it was pricey.

I've owned a pair of Peltor tactial 6s for about 6 months now and really like them. I like the way they amplify sounds like range commands. If no one is around at the range when you are shooting, you can just turn them off and they will muffle the sound of your shots like a normal pair of earmuffs. I think that i would have to try the tactical 7s before I could recommend them because they are a little more money.

I also have the Tac 7's, they have a bit more protection but Ive never noticed any problem with weight. I did try different models of the Pro Ears and did not like them, they did have individual volumns but I didn't like the strap that went over the head and the cushion around the ears didn't feel nearly as comfortable as the Peltors.

It's easy to hear range commands with them on, I wore mine to a hunt in Texas and when I was out alone and near dusk I could hear the animals hooves on the stones, had a hummingbird fly into the tree I was in and it sounded like a bomber coming thru... scared the crap out of me...

It'll feel strange at first, it seems you don't have anything on and you'll hear the crunching of gravel when someone is walking and it'll have you thinking that you'll hear a REALLY loud when the gun goes off but it shuts off instantly.. I really like mine, now if I could just remember to turn the things off when I put them away...

Back