Electronic Hearing Protection

Cody

I have been super interested in these hearing protectors more so now that I expect to receive my .338 RUM this next week since it was released by KDF yesterday after being fitted with a Muzzle Brake. I cruised the Midway Website last night and it seems like the main manufacturer of these is Peltor and they make a few different models.

Can anybody out there enlighten me on Electronic Hearing Protectors, are they that good? Do they work as advertised? Sounds like you can bring them with you while on the hunt?

Thanks in advance.

Cody

Don't know about hunting, but I love them. I use plugs with the elec muffs turned up so I can hear the range commands.

For shoulder weapons, I like a thinner profile. The Pro Ears are my pick and Tac 7s for pistols. Others like Tac 6s or Wolf Ears. Look around and see what's out there.

Good shooting.

I used a headset at a NASCAR race in Daytona a couple of years ago that had electronic sound dampening. It worked great. I understand the theory of it's operation, but was still truly impressed.

For shoulder weapons, I like a thinner profile. The Pro Ears are my pick and Tac 7s for pistols
Kirk, why use both types? Why not just use the thinner ones for pistols too?

I use and really like my Peltor Tac-6S muffs. If I'm on the range, I wear them. They have worked well with pistols, rilfes (up to .50BMG with a brake) and machine guns.

They are great at the range...you can talk and hear without yelling. Have not tried them yet in the field but the ad says you can hear noises up to 100 yards!? My hearing is going a little so it will be interesting. Got mine through CDNN on sale for like $150. normally like around $300. :eek:

I too use the Peltor 6.5 model, when outside it is a bit weird to hear people who are 30 yards away speaking sound like they are right next to you! They work well!:cool:

I ended up getting the Peltor Tac 6. They were on sale at Natchez, $4 cheaper than Midway. I suppose when all is said in done I won't save a dime since shipping will eat it up since it is coming from a farther distance. Few of you spoke highly of this model so that is one of the reasons why I chose it and the cost.

Thanks all for your help!

Cody

the peltors make the squirrels at 30 yards sound like a big deer rumaging just behind that big tree on the left

you hear amplified, but they don't discriminate like natural hearing

its kinda tricky to pin point a sounds origin

I have the Pro Ears Mag model, and they are great for handgun shooting. HOwever, for rifles or shotguns the thinner models are better. The Mag and simlar sizes tend to pinch my cheek between the stock and the muffs.

Get the best. The best are much cheaper than hearing aids - I know.

Jerry

I have a pair and I love them, but I do not feel they reduce the sound as much as conventional muffs or plugs. I believe I have read several times that this is a proven fact.
If it was me, I think I would use plugs and conventional muffs with a .338 RUM and a muzzle brake. I woud imagine that would be extremly loud. I don't have a lot of experience in that area but I have shot a .300 Win Mag with a brake and it was outrageous.

Back