Electronic Hearing Protection for Long Guns

Guyon

I looked through past posts about electronic hearing protection. Consensus seems to be that Pro-Ears take the cake in terms of performance. However, I noticed a number of comments that mentioned the Peltor Tac-6 as better for long guns because of their more streamline design.

Any comments here? I am thinking about electronic hearing protection, and I may even use it for hunting. My hearing is already diminished somewhat in my right ear, and I don't want to lose any more because of a high-powered rifle crack so close to my ear.

Pro-Ears and Peltors are really all I'm looking at right now--though I'd also be interested in what people have to say about the Wolf Ears and Silencios.

Are the Peltor 6's indeed the best bet for a solid cheek mount on long arms?

I suppose everyone's cheekweld is slightly different, but I've had no problem with the Sporting Clays version of the Pro Ears. I've had them a couple of months now (Christmas present), and they seem fine to me. I've been out to the range several times with my Bushmaster AR, in addition to shouldering several rifles and shotguns from my gun cabinet.

One (minor) benefit to this version is the small patch of padding on the outside (right side) of the hard shell - it's there to soften the "clunk" you hear when a hard stock impacts the hard plasic shell of the ear covers. I haven't had that happen, but it's a good idea and easy enough to replicate on whatever ear protectors you settle on.

Jaywalker

Maybe I have sensitive ears, so YMMV, but the Peltors alone are a no-go for rifle for me.

I use the Peltor 6's for outdoor pistol, but they are inadequate protection for either indoor pistol, or outdoor bench rifle, without a set of plugs- which takes away most of the benefit of the Peltor's in the first place.

They is simply not enough attennuation with the Peltors to handle rifle benches, especially if someone is on a nearby bench with anything bigger than a .22 LR. Even a .223 two benches away is too loud for the Peltors alone.

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Tac-6s because they were on sale for $99. I've read more comments since then on shooters.com about difficult cheek welds on long guns with the Pro Ears.

Most of my shooting is done at an unsupervised Wilderness Preserve range. I don't really have to worry about range commands. There, I just wear a pair of Leight's. But I am somewhat concerned about hearing loss when hunting, and so I think that the Tac-6s will be pretty useful there. 19db of sound protection is better than nothing, and I'll still be able to hear what's going on around me. I won't have to worry about people shooting right beside me when I'm in the woods. And the Tac-6's are collapsible and small compared to most other models. This is good for the the fanny pack, which already has too much stuff in it (knife, rope, calls, first aid, etc.).

Jaywalker: That's a good tip about the padding. A small piece of adhesive felt should do the trick.

There were some threads on hearing protection not too long ago. I have a pair of Peltor 7s (24NRR) which are good, but if you are indoors or shooting a big boomer, then take Double Naught Spy's advice (as I did) and double plug. It does make a difference.

Back