Electrically illuminated sights?

Prof Young

So my post on learning to use a laser has caused me to ponder.

Does anyone make a handgun with electrically illuminated sights?

Like say little LEDS that are battery operated. I know there are rifle scopes that do all kinds of fancy stuff, and I've had a bow sight that had an led illuminate the pins in low light, but this would be a simple three dot sight wherein the dots are electrically powered to glow.

Hmmm . . .

Life is good.
Prof Young

That very thing was tried as a very early attempt at night sights. I read one or more magazine articles about 40 years ago showing the gun, how it was wired,etc. One gun I recall shown modified with electrically lit sights was a S&W model 19. Believe me, our current night sights requiring no LEDs, no machining of frames to run epoxied in wiring, no batteries,etc. are a much better way to go.

When I flip on the wall switch in a room,
my sights are electrically illuminated.

Sorry I couldn't resist. :D

Rock 185 has an excellent answer.

Personally never cared whether I had
night sights or not.

There have been radium-painted night sights in use for over 100 years though they never caught on much until the much safer tritium vials came out.

Many argue if night sights are useful. I like them just so I can tell the orientation and position of my pistol on the nightstand in the dark.

It was done in the 1970’s. As has been mentioned. Likely the article the poster above remembers. Sorry for the quality. Noting beats the quality of tritium. We are currently blessed.

Attachments

• C8A7E7E6-94FB-417E-9820-0728192EE650.jpeg
    C8A7E7E6-94FB-417E-9820-0728192EE650.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 17F14927-0280-49EC-B009-F09D744DA1EA.jpeg
    17F14927-0280-49EC-B009-F09D744DA1EA.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 1F22B7A9-31D5-4885-8E35-4AE75B8955FF.jpeg
    1F22B7A9-31D5-4885-8E35-4AE75B8955FF.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 36
More

Attachments

• 503EC79E-3EFC-4E78-87AE-B7FB2C4B205B.jpeg
    503EC79E-3EFC-4E78-87AE-B7FB2C4B205B.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 51652B7D-7884-494E-B68F-A3EEC39F8A0F.jpeg
    51652B7D-7884-494E-B68F-A3EEC39F8A0F.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 18B0D561-2126-423C-B420-4D2D0955A43A.jpeg
    18B0D561-2126-423C-B420-4D2D0955A43A.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 27
Have to admit, with the new LED's that have come out recently, that are used
to put tiny little dots on the sides of guitars to mark frets...
my twisted mind started thinking about firearms applications.
The new batteries that are out now, and the ones that are coming will make
for some interesting options for sights...

What If the Glock Hole could be used as a battery box for intergral lighted sights??

Electronics and guns don't mix well.
Guitars are not subject to the shock experienced when firing a gun.
Even tritium night sights are of limited use. Most are used as a crutch because people don't practice enough to point shoot effectively.

Electronics and guns don't mix well.
Guitars are not subject to the shock experienced when firing a gun.
Even tritium night sights are of limited use. Most are used as a crutch because people don't practice enough to point shoot effectively.
Bill, go buy a lottery ticket, I am. The stars are aligned again. I agree with you!!!:D

Too many people get hung up on the batteries. Having a battery on a firearm simply is not required. A piezoelectric field can place a small charge into a capacitor by the action of racking the slide and keep it charged as each fire cycles. Most of this can can housed within the sights themselves. Having an LED on both sights are not even required since we can use fiber optics.

With semi-autos like the Ruger Marks or the Beretta Neos, this whole thing could easily by integrated into a replacement pic rail for the top of the pistol. That's not to mention all the possibilities when it comes to rifles and shotguns.

The real question in my mind:
As has been stated, electronics fail. Most firearms can last for 100 years or more being handed down from generation to generation if treated with respect and cared for properly. Is there any reason at all to expect ANY kind of solid state device or semi-conductor to come anywhere close to that kind of life span?

Too many people get hung up on the batteries. Having a battery on a firearm simply is not required. A piezoelectric field can place a small charge into a capacitor by the action of racking the slide and keep it charged as each fire cycles. Most of this can can housed within the sights themselves. Having an LED on both sights are not even required since we can use fiber optics.

With semi-autos like the Ruger Marks or the Beretta Neos, this whole thing could easily by integrated into a replacement pic rail for the top of the pistol. That's not to mention all the possibilities when it comes to rifles and shotguns.

The real question in my mind:
As has been stated, electronics fail. Most firearms can last for 100 years or more being handed down from generation to generation if treated with respect and cared for properly. Is there any reason at all to expect ANY kind of solid state device or semi-conductor to come anywhere close to that kind of life span?
I'm not expecting any of my polymers to last over 50 years either...
but I might get a surprise ;)

Energizer LED Cap Light. Clips onto the brim of your hat and illuminates the sights perfectly ! Ain't modern electronics wonderful ?

Back