Electric muffs that do not cut out

ryokox3

Inactive
Hi all, decided I should get a quality set of muffs. I tried a set that did not have that annoying cutoff, but dumb me forgot to write down what kind they were. They also need to have a good nrr rating. 25 would be good.

Basically the set I tried you could talk to someone while someone was shooting next to you. Quite impressive.

While I'm mentioning muffs, what do you ask do regarding eye pro and it reducing the effectiveness of the muffs. I always took that as a necessary evil but someone out there might have some other ideas.

Thanks in advance.

First, welcome to TFL. What do you mean "cutoff"? The electronics are supposed to cut the sound when a shot is fired. That's the point.

Anyway, I like the Howard Leight Sport. They're about $40 and mine has been working well for about three years now. They're cheap enough, if it stops working I can just toss it and replace.

Last edited:
The only muff I know of that tapers the sound well enough for you to carry on a conversation during the shooting is the Pro Ears Gold. Kind of expensive but the best electronics on the market. And comfortable to wear, too. I have the passive Ultra and it is very nice although the real leather ear pads do not wear as long as other brands' synthetics.

I have the HL Pro with higher NRR than the Sport and it is just kind of ok... but a lot less expensive.

My old Peltor 7s were quiet and comfortable but were sharp cutoff design.

. What do you mean "cutoff"? The electronics are supposed to cut the sound when a shot is fired. That's the point.

Until last weekend I would have agreed with you. I did not know there were muffs like the ones I tried. My bud got back to me and said they were the 3m Tactical sport.

The NRR 20 is too low for me, but They have a pro line. I think I will be looking at.

The only muff I know of that tapers the sound well enough for you to carry on a conversation during the shooting is the Pro Ears Gold

Thank you, I will also look into those.

There are 2 systems for electronic hearing protection. One "kills" the amp completely but temporarily the moment the sound incoming exceeds a specific dB level. The other "clips" (selectively deletes) sounds above that level while allowing sounds below the threshold.
The OP is looking for the second type if I read him correctly.

There are several but I have the "Peltor Tactical 6-5" but most of the Peltor line use the same electronics, hopefully that is what you were looking for.

Highly recommend MSA Sordin products. They use "compression" technology so they do not cut-off normal sound around you while keeping loud sounds below 82 dB. Mine have gel ear cups and aux. input for things like a cell phone, radio or music device. Very low power consumption, a AAA battery lasts for a couple of years. They are pricy, $250 and up depending on model. You want performance, comfort and quality, it costs $ but will last a lifetime.

I second Jimbo.

I run the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X Neckband version, and you can easily hold a conversation with no problem.

Something else worth mentioning vs the 3M. The MSA don't interfere with a cheek weld, but the neckband version makes headgear a non issue. If you are wearing a beanie, hat, nothing, it doesn't matter. I wear mine with the Oakley Flak Jackets I was issued, and have not had a single issue.

The MSA will do what your asking, but two things stood out for me when I switched. 1 Was the cheek weld was less likely to be interfered with. The second was the neckband comfort was a great improvement. They make them now with LED lights too.

I have pro ears that are what your looking for but when I use them I generally double plug and turn them all the way up.

Back