Ek 20 Mm - Mk 2

I work for a charity that sells donated items in order to fund its good works. Since I have zero experience in appraising these types of items, I was sincerely hoping for some help. After having read a previous post on this site, I have general information but still need some guidance, if you please.

The headstamping says E.K. 1943, 20 mm mk 2.

However, it is no longer in the shape of a bullet. It has been molded into the shape of a small creamer or pitcher with a handle.

Is this still a collectible? If so, what kind of price could I ask for it? Any help you could offer would certainly be appreciated. Thank you!

This is what is called "Trench Art" by militaria collectors. It has some value, but what that might be is very difficult to determine. WWI Trench Art will have more value than WWII, as you might guess; after all, that's where the term originates, objects created out of military detrius.

Value can also come with either documented provenance (this artifact was made from a 20mm round fired from a Spitfire) or which has documented ornamentation, i.e., "The Officers' Mess of the 21st Pursuit Squadron."

Strictly speaking, what you have is a cartridge case, not a "bullet." The bullet is the big pointy thing that was fired out of the cartridge, leaving the cartridge case behind.

Think of it as a decorative object, and poll "passersby" what they would be willing to pay for it. Good luck!

Regards,

Walt

Glad to help.

In the hope that a bit more info will garner higher bids, I've confirmed that your artifact started as an empty case from a 20mm Oerliken anti-aircraft gun as mounted on nearly all combat vessels in the US Navy during WWII. You may have seen pictures of rows of these things, each with a sailor behind it, firing madly at Kamikaze attacks.

The manufacture date of your cartridge case is 1943, and the manufacturer is Eastman Kodak of Rochester, NY. The designation of the case is 20x110RB mm (RB=Rebated Base).

Best regards,

Walt

Back