Ejector modification on an EAA Bounty Hunter

berkmberk1

I now own an EAA Bounty Hunter, 7.5 in, .45 Colt. It replaces a Cimarron Arms of the same likeness, but unfortunately not authentic and not fire blue! :barf:

Until I sell it off I am stuck with it. One major point I don't like is the ejector. It has the "crescent" shaped one and the edges are Sharp!! Ejecting tight cartridges or cases is painful and sometimes I can't get enough oompf behind it to eject one, resulting in having to use something powerful enough to eject the brass, yet "soft" enough to not damage the part. My Cimarron had the "bullseye" head ejector and it was great for getting a hold of !

My question for your rumination.......considering that the ejector rod is not exactly one of the most critically spec'd parts, wouldn't it be feasible to replace mine with one with the desired design from another make? This would assume the possibility of a certain amount of fitting (ie. length). Since the head and shaft rotate in the ejector housing and the only real critical points seem to be the ejector length and the opening in the end of the housing, it seems like it could work.

Anyone try it before?

Thanks,

Mike

Found one

Ordered a Colt ejector rod and a "bullseye" type ejector head from Navy Arms. Total cost was $17.75. Now with a little luck it should work. From what I've heard, I get the feeling that the EAA piece is probably cast, thus the snapping off of the head if you let the ejector fly forward too many times. These two parts screw together, so they should be a bit stronger.

Just my luck.....went to the gun shop today for primers......looking in their revolver case, what did I spy? Two consecutive number 7.5 inch, .45 cal. Cattlemen, used..............$329 a piece. Used to belong to a local CAS type. Both seemed to be in pretty good shape. The guy behind the counter said they might make a deal on both.......and.......might consider a trade on my Bounty Hunter.

I just might have to return the parts I just bought.

;);)

The parts fit......mostly

Got my parts Friday. The ejector rod, a Colt part, fits perfectly. The ejector rod head needs some fitting. Its a casting and the central web between the actual "button" and the boss where the rod screws into it needs to be thinned to fit the channel in the rod housing. A small file or my moto-tool should do just fine.

When I disassembled the ejector, I could see why they have a problem....the head and rod appear to be a press fit and are either welded or braized together, not screwed like the origonal. The rod isn't even full diameter along it's entire length! About half to three quarters of the length of the rod is milled flat through half the diameter of the ejector. I can only imaging how much it flexes when it encounters a stuck case!

Almost done, and it works!

Did a little judicious filing of the button assembly while I was perusing the posts here. Got it fitted and assembled and it works fine! A good handful considering that little, sharp edged half-moon design. Now, just a little smoothing/polishing with some fine abrasive cloth... a little cold bluing and I'm all set!

I don't know about you all, but that big ole bullseye ejector hangin under the barrel looks just so natural...........:D

Cheaper too

I priced Cimarron, Taylor, and straight Colt parts......I got the parts from Dixie Gun Works...I think I said Navy Arms......my mistake.....the rod is Colt and the head is aftermarket, but all total half the price.

A little hand fitting and polishing and now I own a hybrid......:eek:

Looking at getting some ivory look grips from the Grip Maker and I just might be able to salvage something out of my Cimarron fiasco....:cool:

Mike

Finished product

The mod is done. Everything fits. I just thought I'd post some pictures before I put it all back on. The parts were from Dixie Gun Works.

Attachments

• Ejector1.JPG
    Ejector1.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Ejector2.JPG
    Ejector2.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Ejector3.JPG
    Ejector3.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 72
I'm kinda partial to the bullseye ejectors too. I like the look of the bp frames too, even if they are more trouble.

Back